Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) yesterday released his women's policy, promising to create jobs for 1 million women in eight years if elected.
Dubbed the "five guarantees," Hsieh promised to establish a gender equality committee under the Executive Yuan, increase government budget earmarked for related purposes and fully protect women's rights.
He also said he would create jobs for 1 million women in eight years.
Statistics show that about 4.1 million women were employed in 2005, an increase of 84,000 from the previous year. The number jumped to 4.3 million in 2006 and 4.4 million last year.
If 120,000 more women can get a job each year, a total of 960,000 women would enter the job market in eight years, he said.
Third, he said the government would provide NT$5 billion in low-interest, no-guarantor required loans to women who want to start their own business.
Fourth, the government would provide free computer learning courses to 100,000 women each year. Beginning last year, nonprofit-making groups can apply for government funding to provide computer training courses to women. The funding has benefited 10,000 women and is expected to benefit 20,000 more women this year.
Finally, the government would employ professional social workers to ensure individual safety of women and children.
The DPP candidate also signed on an agreement that offers "six promises" to the country's women.
He promised to hire more female officials in the government, ensure the safety of women, protect and respect female caretakers, prevent women from cultural discrimination, encourage the children of intermarriages to learn the language of their foreign parent and provide quality child-care facilities.
Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮), who attended the event as a special guest, said Hsieh could also work on correcting the misperception that women "are weak."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as