The policy of the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) prohibiting the use of plastic containers and trays for eggs, produce and pastries may face another delay as environmentalists, retailers and representatives for the plastic industry said the policy needed to be suspended.
Last month, the administration announced that it would begin enforcing the policy next month.
"This is the wrong policy," said Chang Feng-chih (
The hearing was hosted by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Sue-ying (
"The EPA has never considered if a policy would be viable before they executed it," Chang said.
Liou Ming-long (劉銘龍), chairman of the Environmental Quality Protection Foundation, criticized the policy, saying it has deviated from its original legislative purpose.
"The purpose should be to limit the use of non-recyclable plastic packaging materials, rather than limiting the use of plastic or even plastic bags," Liou said.
Liou said a similar policy in South Korea only forbids restaurants that are larger than 45 pings from using plastic utensils because they should be capable of installing large dish-washing facilities, rather than forbidding all retailers to provide plastic products.
Some at the event suggested the government had failed to consider the policy's impact on other industries.
Chang Yuan (
Chang said that the EPA drafted the policy without first seeking a consensus from other government departments.
Ho Soong-chin (
The EPA announced last year that the use of plastic containers made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polystyrene (PS), polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) would be banned starting in February.
Since these plastic containers are easily contaminated by residues left by the products they contain, often making them unrecyclable, the administration decided to ban their use completely.
If enforced, the policy will apply to government organizations, department stores, shopping malls, hypermarkets, mid-size supermarkets, retail chain stores and fast food restaurants.
To replace the banned materials, the EPA said it would permit the use of containers made of biodegradable materials like polylactic acid, paper or bamboo.
The administration decided, however, to postpone the implementation of the policy as it failed to secure support from the private sector.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as