Bureau of High Speed Rail Director Wu Fu-hsiang (吳福祥) said yesterday that the derailment of a high-speed train at Tsoying (左營) Station on Tuesday night occurred as a result of human error.
"Problems have emerged ever since the company began testing the stability of the system last year," Wu said. "And it is a relief that any technical problem happens before the high-speed railway becomes operational."
Wu made the remarks in the legislative transportation committee, at which lawmakers were scheduled to review the budget for the Institute of Transportation under the Ministry for Transportation and Communications (MOTC). Most of the questions, however, were targeted at the derailment accident.
People First Party Legislator Liu Wen-hsiung (
"Passengers will be forced to be guinea pigs for the first half year of operation [of the High Speed Rail]," Liu said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Wang Yu-ting (王昱婷) noted that MOTC must conduct a thorough investigation into the incident. Wang suggested that the ministry establish an investigative committee immediately, following procedures similar to those applied after a plane crash.
Wu told the press yesterday evening that the derailment occurred while the company was testing the train on the deployment tracks.
The train was about to back up into one of the deployment tunnels for its 10th test run.
The chief of the train crew, however, failed to notice that the derailer on the tracks was not opened. The rain then derailed, causing the first car to deviate from the track for about 50cm.
According to a THSRC statement, the derailer installed in the high-speed rail system is in fact a safety device to prohibit unauthorized trains from entering the main rail track.
When a train is authorized to enter, the derailer will automatically flip open to allow it to proceed. A train will be forced to go off the track if the system has identified it as unauthorized.
Wu said the train was traveling at 7kph at the time. The damaged parts included the bogie and the obstacle deflector and sand box that were attached to it, seven crossties and five sets of rail clips. The track width was stretched from 1.435mm to 1.453mm.
Wu said that the incident will certainly be included in the inspection report that will be issued by Lloyd's Register.
Media has speculated that language might have played a role in the accident -- the driver was French, the chief of crew Taiwanese and the traffic controler Japanese.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as