The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday charged Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei mayoral candidate Frank Hsieh (
KMT Legislator Justin Chou (周守訓) told a press conference that the Aloha Tour Bus Co donated NT$3 million (US$90,171) to the Kaohsiung Development Association, a civic society whose president, Hsu Cheng-chao (徐政朝), is a close friend of Hsieh, in 2002.
KMT Legislator Lwo Shih-hsiung (羅世雄) said that the company continued to operate for more than a year after its license had expired, earning about NT$100 million in the process.
The company was fined about NT$20 million because of a dispute with the Taipei City Government and for operating without a valid license last year, but the fines were never paid, he said.
The company's license, however, was renewed two weeks before Hsieh resigned as premier, which was probably a favor Hsieh did in exchange for the company's political donation, Lwo said.
Lwo and Chou added that Hsieh is establishing his new headquarters at the site of Aloha's old office on Chengde Rd, prompting their suspicion that Hsieh has inappropriate relations with Aloha.
Calling Hsieh's Kaohsiung experience "an experience of corruption [referring to Hsieh's tenure as Kaohsiung mayor] ," Chou demanded that Hsieh clarify his relationship with Aloha, adding that the caucus would hold a press conference every three days to present new evidence against Hsieh.
In response, DPP Legislator Hsu Kuo-yung (
Hsu added that the association has nothing to do with Hsieh.
As the Political Donation Law (
DPP Legislator Lan Mei-chin (
As for the location of Hsieh's new headquarters, the Taipei mayoral candidate chose the site because the location was good, DPP Legislator Hsieh Hsin-ni (
The lawmaker added that the property was owned by five different landlords, not Aloha.
When approached by reporters for comment, Frank Hsieh said that he would only answer accusations coming from his rival candidate, Hau Lung-bin (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as