Fighting allegations that he neglected his public duties and had an affair with his secretary, Ho Hung-jung (
Wang accused Ho on Tuesday of being absent from work earlier this month when Typhoon Khanun threatened the nation -- a time at which Ho would normally have been manning the city's disaster command center -- because he was on vacation with his secretary in Bali. The charges drew a firestorm of media attention and rocked the city government.
Accompanied by his wife and staff members, Ho announced his resignation yesterday morning, while stressing that he was only doing so in order to protect his family and the city government's reputations.
PHOTO: WANG MIN-WEI, TAIPEI TIMES
"I did nothing wrong," Ho said at a press conference yesterday. "But Wang's accusations have already hurt my family and affected the city government's reputation, so I decided to turn in my resignation."
Ho acknowledged that he did go to Bali with his secretary, surnamed Chang, but Ho denied that he and Chang stayed in the same room. He also said that his staff applied for leave for him.
Ho's wife Lin Wen-shu (
"I trust my husband 100 percent. How can you ask him to prove something he never did? If people can just accuse anyone without proof, then there is no justice in society," she said.
The bureau's human resources department chief, Feng Ai-weng (馮艾雯), also defended Ho, saying that Ho followed standard procedure in asking for leave.
Ho filed a lawsuit against Wang for slandering him in the Taipei District Court in the afternoon. Wang filed a countersuit, saying that Ho had brought a false charge against him. The two encountered each other at the court at the same time, and Ho's wife angrily told Wang not to hurt her family with groundless accusations.
But Wang was unmoved.
"Apparently Ho is clueless about the mistakes he has made," Wang said. "Instead of eating crow and re-examining himself, he blames the disclosure of the matter on me." Wang said that he is not interested in, nor is he responsible for, Ho's personal life. His criticism against Ho is purely related to his performance in the public sphere, he said.
Wang said that he learned of the matter about 10 days ago but did not release the information until Tuesday. He never mentioned the name of Ho's secretary, but only questioned why Ho conducted a "business" trip with his secretary to a resort island at a time when he should have been overseeing the city's response to Typhoon Khanun.
Although Ho said he would resign from his post immediately after the rumor came out, the controversial issue spread to the Taipei City Council, with both pan-blue and pan-green city councilors questioning Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) councilor Hsu Chia-ching (
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) councilor Chin Li-fang (秦儷舫) asked Ma to pay more attention to internal problems in the city government.
"The city government lost an experienced talent because of this scandal. I think Mayor Ma should find out whether some kind of internal conflict in the city government is behind the accusation," she said.
Ma reiterated his support for Ho, insisting that Ho followed procedure when applying for leave.
"As to things in the private realm, I will leave him to solve those issues himself and respect his decision," Ma added.
Ho's resignation went into effect immediately yesterday. Deputy chief Chong Ze-liang (鍾則良) will take over as the acting chief of the bureau.
Additional reporting by Ko Shu-ling
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37