Residents in Taipei County's Rueifang (瑞芳) and Sijhih (汐止) Townships will no longer suffer from flooding now that the Yuanshanzih Sluiceway (員山子分洪道) is completed, the Cabinet's Water Resources Agency said yesterday. The agency made the confident assessment after the sluiceway performed well through two typhoons -- Haitang and Matsa.
"The sluiceway worked, and helped distribute rainfall during the two recent typhoons' pummeling of northern Taiwan," said Joses Wu (吳約西), secretary-general of the agency. "So we can announce the end of Rueifang and Hsichih residents' nightmare."
Rueifang and Hsichih Townships have been notorious for constant flooding every time typhoons tore through the areas in the past few years, due to the extraordinary curves of the Keelung River.
In addition to dredging and straightening the river, the agency also built the Yuanshanzih Sluiceway to help redirect run-off to the sea.
The construction began in June 2002 and was completed this June. The sluiceway, which cost NT$6.3 billion (US$198 million), had its first challenge when Typhoon Haitang touched down on July 18.
On Friday, Typhoon Matsa hit the nation and became the sluiceway's second challenge. The construction did help prevent flooding and residents' typical battle with the problem was averted.
According to Wu, under normal conditions the sluiceway helps filter out mud from the Keelung River. If the water level in the river hits a high 63m, sluicegates automatically open and redirect water to the sea.
"The sluiceway actually helped decrease by more than 1.5m the depth of the waters of the Keelung River in the Rueifang and Hsichih areas," Wu said. "So we should not be worried about being flooded again in the future."
In addition to protecting the nearly 2 million residents in the Taipei metropolitan area, the Yuanshanzih Sluiceway has been a focus of media coverage.
On Oct. 25 last year, when Typhoon Nock-Ten was pounding northern Taiwan, a local TV photojournalist drowned at the sluiceway's construction site during a flashflood while he was waiting along with other reporters to cover former premier Yu Shyi-kun's visit to the site.
Prosecutors' investigation showed that the sudden floods that drowned the photojournalist came from the sluiceway, which began to distribute and re-direct rainwater toward the group of journalists.
The government has paid a total of NT$570 million as compensation to Rueifang fishermen for losses due to the completion of the sluiceway's construction.
According to the Rueifang Fishery Council, the turbid water from the sluiceway now floods into their old fishing grounds, reducing fish stocks in the area and hurting their business.
After the fishermen complained to the government, the Cabinet's Fisheries Administration paid compensation to resolve the dispute.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated