ROCSAT-2, the nation's second satellite, was boosted smoothly into its mission orbit at an altitude of 891km yesterday, according to the National Science Council (NSC).
On May 21, after separating from its rocket 15 minutes after lift-off in California, ROCSAT-2 commenced an orbit at 737km, 14km higher than planned.
Originally, officials at the National Space Program Office (NSPO) predicted that they might need to spend about two weeks boosting the satellite to its mission orbit. However, they completed the task a day earlier than that.
NSPO deputy director Chen Shao-hsing (
"In the next two days, remote-sensing instruments installed on the satellite will be tested and calibrated," Chen said.
Capable of producing images of objects as small as 2m across, the satellite is orbiting the planet 14 times a day and passes over the Taiwan Strait twice a day. A 60m by 60m target composed of four pieces in different colors has been set up on land in offshore Penghu as part of the calibration process, which enhances the quality of pictures taken from space.
Chen said that everything so far had gone well and that the historic first image taken by the satellite would be available next week.
ROCSAT-2 was designed for non-military purposes, including marine-pollution control and policing smuggling. NSPO officials predict that during its seven years of operation the satellite might earn as much as NT$1.5 billion (US$45.5 million).
Also expressing interest in purchasing images are world-class commercial satellite-image suppliers such as QuickBird, Space Imaging's IKONOS and SPOT.
On Tuesday, engineers at mission control were trying to complete orbit transfer but encountered an unprecedented problem -- they were being ignored by the satellite.
According to NSC deputy minister Shieh Ching-jyh (謝清志), a command sent by the NSPO on Tuesday to initiate the 32nd boosting of ROCSAT-2's altitude was rejected by the satellite, which had just completed changing from "night mode" to "day mode."
"At that time, the satellite chose to ignore the command before it became stable. Then it switched itself into a safe mode automatically," Shieh said.
Shieh said that the resulting one-day delay would not affect the operations of the satellite.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as