Relevant government agencies should demand that beef importers produce official country of origin certificates due to concern over mad cow disease, the Consumers Foundation said yesterday.
Beef retailers or supermarket operators should also be required to display country of origin certificates on their beef shelves, the non-profit foundation said.
The foundation made the call after conducting spot checks on supermarket shelves in 10 big department stores in metropolitan Taipei on Thursday and Friday amid concern about beef safety in the wake of the announcement of the first case of mad cow disease in the US.
The foundation said only Tayeh Takashimaya Department Store has clearly displayed country of origin certificates where it sells beef products.
The remaining stores have either not displayed the origin certificates or have offered confusing information, the foundation said. For instance, a supermarket displayed a "beef imported from Australia" signboard near a shelf even though the labels on the packages indicated that the products were from the US.
Nearly all supermarkets surveyed displayed posters claiming that their beef came from Australia or New Zealand, but none of them have produced country of origin certificates or copies of the documents, the foundation said.
Department of Health officials said they will intensify their spot checks of markets. Supermarket operators or retailers who offer confusing or false information to mislead consumers will be penalized in accordance with existing food regulations, the officials said.
The Consumers Foundation advised shoppers to ascertain product origin and check relevant certificates whenever they purchase beef at supermarkets or other retail shops. The foundation said consumers should for the time being avoid eating beef offal.
It also urged food hygiene authorities to step up inspections of markets and trace distribution networks.
Health authorities should also inspect dairy products and cosmetics to determine whether they contain contaminated substances, the foundation said, adding that the government should establish an imported meat certification system.
More importantly, the foundation said, the government should make every possible effort to prevent beef smuggling, particularly cattle offal from mainland China.
Meanwhile, the Council of Agriculture said it is closely watching developments following the announcement of the US mad cow disease case. The council said that by yesterday the world organization for animal health, known by the acronym OIE, had not yet declared the US a mad cow disease-affected area.
If this were to happen, the US would have to suspend exports of beef and related products for seven years.
Like several other countries, Taiwan announced a temporary ban on beef imports from the US immediately after the announcement that an infected cow had been found on a farm in Washington State on Wednesday.
According to OIE regulations, the council said, member countries can determine the scope and duration of the import ban in terms of the contamination risks of different products after a specific country is declared to be infected by mad cow disease.
The US is Taiwan's third-largest beef supplier, after Australia and New Zealand.
Last year Taiwan imported more than 35,000 tonnes of beef and related products from Australia, 15,400 tonnes from New Zealand and 13,900 tonnes from the US.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as