PFP Legislator Hwang Yih-jiau (
It wasn't so much the appointment itself that had the media pursuing Hwang, but a poison-pen letter sent to a local media organization alleging that Hwang has a record of adultery.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
The letter bore the signature of Huang Kuang-chin (
In a book by Huang, The Baby's Diary, Huang disclosed the love affair between her and Hwang and penned Hwang to have had numerous mistresses, nicknamed his "babies."
The letter accused Hwang of abandoning Huang when she was pregnant with his child and accuses him of calling her "a whore whom all men could have sex with."
However, on Tuesday, Huang claimed that she had not written the letter and that she did not know who had.
Hwang dismissed the letter as a dirty trick.
"I don't want to surmise about the motives of the person who wrote the letter," Hwang said, adding that no matter who the author was, he was ready to forgive.
Media comment on his private life is nothing to to Hwang, whose chaotic love live five years ago caused a stir.
In early 1998, TV personality Clara Chou (
Aside from giving newspapers a tell-all account of how Hwang tossed her aside for Ho, Chou also made frequent appearances on talk shows five years ago and hosted press conferences on the issue. Chou said Hwang was married when their affair began and that he forced both Chou and Ho to have abortions when they became pregnant.
Hwang brushed aside Chou's accusations, saying that "they have different interpretations of feelings."
Demotion
Unable to ignore the public uproar, however, then Taiwan provincial governor James Soong (
Hwang's marriage ended in divorce after his wife, Cheng Chua-yueh (
According to Chinese-language media, after being in a relationship for the past five years, Hwang and Ho parted company last month.
Hwang, 50, earned a bachelor's degree in education information from Tamkang University and a masters in Sino-US relations from Chinese Cultural University.
During his more than a decade with the Government Information Office (GIO), Hwang served as chief of the North America section of the office's international department and as an information secretary stationed in Washington before joining the Taiwan Provincial Government under Soong.
Former mover
and shaker
Before the alleged adultery cast a shadow over his political career, Hwang, known for confidence and eloquence, was regarded as a high-profile politician.
Staging a successful comeback, Hwang, with Ho as his close campaign aide, was elected as a legislator for Taichung City in December 1998 and managed to win a second term in 2001.
Hwang also served as a close campaign aide to Soong when Soong was running his own maverick campaign in the 2000 presidential election.
Although Hwang's love life has made his appointment controversial, his party comrades expressed confidence in Hwang's competence as party spokesman.
"The poison-pen letter was simply an attempt to block Hwang's appointment," said deputy convener of the PFP legislative caucus Chiu Yi (
Endorsement
PFP Legislator Lee Hung-chun (李鴻鈞) said that he is confidence in Hwang's performance as spokesman.
"The job of a party spokesman is to put forward party statements correctly and honestly," Lee said. "Being a former spokesperson for the Taiwan Provincial Government, I think Hwang's got the skills needed for the job."
Lee said he doubts Hwang's alleged transgressions would bring a negative image to the party.
"Hwang has taken on introspection after that event," Lee said. "I think stuff like that won't be a bother now."
Saying that he is aware that public figures shoulder certain social responsibilities, Hwang said that it's understandable that public figures should be subject to examination by the outside world.
"I will apply a high standard to myself," he said. "I am willing and am well-prepared to take on outsiders' inspection of me."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as