Minister of Education Huang Jong-tsun (黃榮村) yesterday said his ministry will continue to explain ongoing education reform schemes to the public and seek resolution to the education deadlock that has angered the nation's students and parents.
"People complain because they don't understand what exactly the contents of the reform measures are," Huang said yesterday.
"The main problem in Taiwan's education system is that too much emphasis is put on high school and university entrance exams and parents are worried their children might fall behind classmates early on," Huang said.
Huang was speaking in response to remarks by President Chen Shui-bian's (
The reforms are primarily aimed at improving the Multiple Enrollment Scheme (MES), designed to provide an alternative to the rigid joint entrance exams, which were previously the sole route for those seeking entrance into high school or university.
"We are trying to simplify and integrate the MES to make it a fairer system. During these changes, we will repeatedly explain our actions to the public," Huang said.
In a bid to limit confusion, Huang said, "The MOE is studying the possibility of pushing forward a K-12 schooling system."
The K-12 education system is expected to extend the current nine-year compulsory education to 13 years, including one year of kindergarten and three years of senior high school education. The current nine-year compulsory education spans six years of elementary education and three years of junior high school.
The MOE has said that the one-year compulsory kindergarten education would be put into practice starting in 2005, while the three-year compulsory senior high education has yet to be given a start date.
TSU legislator Cheng Chen-lung (程振隆), a member of the legislative education committee, yesterday dismissed Chen's remarks, saying you cannot overhaul the educational system by simply asking to reduce the pressure on students.
"There will inevitably be pressure in studying," Cheng said. "As long as the students like what they are studying and the degree of pressure is bearable, we will survive."
"But to simply ask for a non-pressure studying environment is not conducive to the cultivation of talents that Taiwan needs for high-tech development," Cheng said.
"The education material used in Taiwan is relatively easier than that used in other developed nations. To alleviate the pressure on students would undermine students' academic ability," the lawmaker added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as