The planned restoration of the income tax for military service members and elementary and junior high school teachers yesterday drew mixed reviews from lawmakers who have the final say on the matter.
Some promised support for the measure to make the nation's tax system fairer, while others urged a cautious approach to avoid a potential backlash from groups hurt by the measure.
DPP Legislator Luo Wen-jia (
The KMT government introduced the income tax break 47 years ago to persuade people to enter the military services and become schoolteachers in spite of the lower wages such jobs traditionally recieve enjoy.
"Over the years, the situation has been reversed," Luo said. "Nowadays, many vie to join the two sectors, where jobs are widely considered well-paid and stable."
Earlier in the day, the Cabinet unveiled a policy initiative calling for scrapping the longstanding income tax breaks for military personnel and schoolteachers from the junior high school level down to the kindergarten level.
DPP Legislator Wang Shu-hui (
According to Wang, most teachers acknowledge the necessity and importance of the income tax reform, which, she added, if carried out properly, would not draw drastic protests.
Finance officials expect the measure to generate NT$13.3 billion for the state coffers each year. Premier Yu Shyi-kun has promised to use the bulk of the additional revenue to improve the welfare of the two groups, which numbered over 300,000.
Though supportive of fairer tax codes, the two opposition legislative caucuses expressed reservations about the bill.
KMT legislative leader Lee Chuan-chia (李全教) said he suspected that by axing the tax exemptions, the government is seeking to help narrow its budgetary shortfall rather than overhaul the tax system.
Lee said he backed tax reforms in principle but warned policymakers to take long-term economic factors into consideration when handling the issue.
"What happens if the economy experiences a boom and the work force again swarms to the private sector?" he asked. "The government had better tell us how it intends to address the situation to ensure policy consistency."
Chiang Yi-wen (
Though the Cabinet has said it will mull supporting measures to make up for their losses, Chiang said the compensations may prove to be insufficient and only temporary in nature.
She vowed to boycott the policy change unless the government comes up with satisfactory pay raises for the two groups.
PFP legislative leader Lee Hung-chun (
He declined further comment on the draft legislation before seeing it.
The Cabinet is expected to submit the bill over to the legislature for review in October. If all goes smoothly, the tax exemptions will be abolished as early as January 2003.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as