Strong underwater currents thwarted the efforts of searchers yesterday to retrieve the flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder -- the so-called "black boxes" -- of the China Airlines plane that plunged into the sea with 225 people on board, officials said.
The attempt to retrieve the black boxes, which search crews determined on Wednesday were at a longitude of 119'40, north latitude 23'58, was disrupted by strong ocean currents, said Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Lin-shan (
Choppy seas also hampered efforts yesterday to salvage a huge piece of wreckage of the crashed plane, measuring 40m by 10m by 6m, located near the site of the black boxes, Lin said.
But research vessels from National Taiwan Ocean University and National Taiwan University, which are part of the search team, salvaged three pieces of wreckage yesterday, Lin said.
One of the pieces recovered measures 3m by 6m, with the other two measuring 7.5m by 7.5m, Lin added.
Eight fishing boats that jointed the search effort yesterday failed to recover any bodies or debris. The boats sailed south from Hsinchu, using the trawl nets to conduct retrieval efforts some 30m beneath the water's surface, Lin said.
So far, more than 95 bodies -- victims both from Taiwan and China -- have been recovered, leaving more than half of the plane's passengers still missing.
The recovery of the black boxes is expected to shed light on what caused the Boeing 747-200 to split into four pieces at an altitude of more than 9,144m last Saturday afternoon after taking off from the CKS Airport en route to Hong Kong.
Also commenting on the crash yesterday, President Chen Shui-bian (
Chen also attended a ceremony in Taipei yesterday to show his respects for the victims of the crash.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as