TSU lawmakers yesterday attacked the water-rationing measures implemented by the Taipei City Government in response to the drought, saying it was a politically motivated scheme designed to make the central government look incompetent.
They argued that it was unnecessary for the city government to adopt the water-rationing scheme because the water stored in the Feitsui Reservoir -- the city's main source of water -- was sufficient to last at least two more months.
Taipei City officials denied the accusations, saying the water-control scheme was needed because rainfall this year had been much less than in previous years.
The city's water shortage became a politically charged issue on Friday last week, when former president Lee Teng-hui (
Lee's attacks on Ma have been interpreted as a concerted effort by the former president to damage the mayor's image and decrease his chances of re-election in the year-end mayoral vote.
Under Lee's instruction, TSU lawmakers have been pursuing the issue.
After a meeting with officials from the Water Resources Agency, Feitsui Reservoir and Taiwan Power Company yesterday, TSU lawmakers concluded that the water restrictions were carried out for "political reasons."
TSU lawmaker Huang Chung-yuan (黃宗源) said that each day Taipei City consumes 2.5 million tonnes of water, of which 1.6 million tonnes comes from the Nanshih River (南勢溪).
The Feitsui Reservoir only needs to supply 900,000 tonnes each day, he said, so there is no need to discharge 2.5 million tonnes of water a day, as has been the case.
Citing information provided by the Feitsui Reservoir to back up their accusations, the lawmakers said that the 100 million tonnes of water stored in the reservoir would be enough to supply households for nearly 80 days, even if it does not rain.
"It is unnecessary to implement the water-rationing scheme for the time being," TSU lawmaker Chen Chien-ming (
"We suspect that the measures were carried out to embarrass the government."
Since May 13, the Taipei City government has been adopting water-rationing measures in which water services are suspended for 24 hours to parts of the city in rotation. The city government announced on Monday that it may have to toughen its water restrictions as early as next Tuesday so that water is cut off to households once every three days instead of once every five days.
TSU lawmaker Lo Chih-ming (
Ou Chin-der (
He said the Nanshih River only supplied 400,000 tonnes of water a day, not 1.6 million tonnes as claimed by the TSU. He added that rainfall for this year was less than half the average of previous years.
Surveys show that 80 percent of Taipei citizens think highly of the anti-drought measures adopted by the city government, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as