The tennis pay row has escalated further with the world’s top 10 male and female players rejecting an offer from the Grand Slams to set up a player council that would give them a greater say in the running of the major championships.
In correspondence sent to Wimbledon, the French Open and US Open last week, the players turned down the offer of a meeting with representatives of the three grand slams at the Indian Wells Masters next month and accused the tournament organizers of ignoring their concerns about pay and player welfare.
“Before committing to another meeting, it would be more productive for the grand slams to provide substantive responses, individually or collectively, to the specific proposals the players have put forward regarding prize money at a fair share of grand slam revenues, and player health, welfare, and benefits contributions,” the letter says.
Photo: Reuters
The players have been lobbying for a greater share of the money made by those organizing the Grand Slam championships since last year’s French Open when a delegation, including Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff, urged executives from all four tournaments to increase their prize funds to 22 percent of revenue by 2030, which would be in line with ATP and WTA Tour events.
Alcaraz is to receive A$2.8 million (US$2 million) for completing the career Grand Slam by beating Novak Djokovic on Sunday in Melbourne as part of a record Australian Open prize fund of A$85 million, the second-highest of the majors after the US Open. Despite being a significant increase, it remains about 16 percent of the tournament’s income. At Wimbledon last year, the total prize pot of £50 million (US$68.4 million) was 12.3 percent of the tournament’s £406.5 million revenue.
Three of the Grand Slams, minus the Australian Open, wrote to the players in December last year offering a meeting on setting up a Grand Slam player council, but ignored their demands on pay and welfare.
In a further indication of the in-fighting, Tennis Australia is not involved in the dispute, as it has aligned with the Professional Tennis Players’ Association, which is suing the other three Grand Slam governing bodies in New York’s district court over alleged restrictive practices.
After a series of meetings in the locker room in Melbourne, a representative of the players wrote to Wimbledon, the French Open and US Open last week making clear that any discussions on governance and the creation of a player council had to be accompanied by meaningful talks on pay.
“While the players recognize that governance structures can play an important role, they are concerned that prioritizing council formation over the core economic issues risks becoming a process discussion that delays rather than advances meaningful progress,” the letter reads.
A number of the leading female players are understood to have become more disillusioned with the governance of tennis as a result of events at the Australian Open. There is widespread unhappiness at the decision to install extra TV cameras in warm-up and cool-down areas without any consultation, which led to a video of Gauff smashing her racket in what was previously a private space going viral last week after her quarter-final defeat by Elina Svitolina.
Many players are also understood to have been aggrieved by Sunday’s announcement from Australian Open director Craig Tiley that the Australian Open is exploring moving to best-of-five-set matches for women from the quarter-final stage, a radical move that has not been discussed with the players.
Fred Kerley is competing unaugmented against drug-fuelled athletes at this weekend’s Enhanced Games and still hopes to race in the 2028 Olympics, the suspended former 100m world champion said on Friday. Arguably the biggest name at the divisive event in Las Vegas, where doping is permitted, the US sprinter said he had chosen not to take any of the banned substances including testosterone and steroids that his competitors have been using. “I don’t need it. God gave me fast feet for a reason. And I’m here to showcase my talent,” Kerley said. Kerley last September became the first US competitor and first track
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
MLB is experiencing an epidemic of guys being dudes. At ballparks all across the US, groups consisting of mostly young men are joining in on the “Tarps Off” trend that is loud, goofy, infectious and new to the baseball world. Joining in on the fun is simple: Go to the section where the party is happening, take off your shirt and start twirling it above your head. Soccer-like chants or singing usually follow — injecting a jolt of energy for a sport that is occasionally chided for its lack of energy inside the stadium. After getting its start in St Louis, Missouri, on