US Salernitana’s fight for survival has veered into chaos, with a bout of food poisoning hospitalizing much of the squad halfway through their relegation showdown with UC Sampdoria.
The Serie B side, fighting to avoid dropping to Italy’s third tier, have formally requested a postponement of Friday’s second leg against Sampdoria as players and coaching staff remain too ill to train.
The incident risks prolonging a month-long saga that has seen Brescia being sent down to Serie C by court order due to financial irregularities, and Sampdoria handed a chance to avoid a humiliating demotion.
Photo: AP
The former Serie A champions were on course to slide down to the third division for the first time in their 79-year history before Brescia’s troubles granted them an unexpected spot in the relegation playoff.
The latest drama unfolded on Salernitana’s plane back home following Sunday’s 2-0 loss in Genoa, with 21 players and staff struck down, a large number requiring hospitalization upon disembarking.
“We are truly shocked by what happened and by the series of events that risk jeopardizing Salernitana’s smooth and peaceful approach to the final and crucial minutes of the season,” Salernitana chief executive Maurizio Milan said in a statement.
The mass sickness has left the southern Italian side in competitive limbo, with the team unable to prepare for a match that could determine their future.
After suffering the drop from Serie A last season, Salernitana now face the prospect of consecutive relegations if they cannot overturn their first-leg deficit.
“Many players and staff, at the moment, are not even able to show up at the sports center to resume training,” Milan said.
The club said it had already made informal contact with Serie B officials and received “general openness” to evaluating the postponement request.
Salernitana have also called for an investigation into the “causes of this widespread and serious episode.”
With the return leg scheduled for Friday and the team already facing a two-goal deficit, the clock is ticking on both the players’ recovery and league authorities’ decision on whether to grant additional time.
TO THE TOP: After securing the international title on Saturday, Team Taiwan were to face Las Vegas to potentially win their 18th Little League World Series championship A team from Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School won the Little League Baseball World Series’ international title on Saturday by defeating Aruba 1-0 in the annual baseball tournament held in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The Taiwan team, competing under the name Chinese Taipei, were after press time last night to face a team from Las Vegas, Nevada, which beat a team from Fairfield, Connecticut, in the US championship 8-2. Taiwan are seeking to win their first Little League Baseball World Series title since 1996. “Really haven’t taken a moment to data dump right now on Taiwan,” Nevada manager T.J. Fescher said. “They’re a
Marc Marquez continued his winning streak as he cruised to victory in the Hungarian GP sprint by two seconds on Saturday night to pad his championship lead. It was a seventh straight Sprint victory for the Spaniard, who has also won the last six longer Sunday grand prix races on his factory Ducati. Fabio Di Giannantonio, an Italian with the VR46 Ducati satellite team was a distant second at Balaton Park, followed by his team-mate and compatriot Franco Morbidelli third. Marquez, a six-time world champion, started the race from pole position. “I felt someone really close on the first corner, from there I
Former European champions Celtic exited the UEFA Champions League in the qualifiers after a 3-2 penalty shoot-out defeat at Kazakhstan’s Kairat Almaty on Tuesday, following two goalless legs in the playoff tie. Kairat are to compete in the competition proper for the first time, while Norway’s Bodo/Glimt and Cyprus’s Pafos also secured debut appearances after coming through the playoffs. Celtic’s night ended in disappointment as they missed three penalties in the shoot-out, Daizen Maeda failing with the decisive spot-kick. The slugfest of a match went into extra-time with neither side finding the net and few overall chances, echoing the first
Russian Diana Shnaider continued her impressive winning streak in tour-level finals at the Monterrey Open on Saturday, beating compatriot Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 in the WTA 500 event’s final. Shnaider had little trouble in the opening set but struggled in a topsy-turvy second, as Alexandrova clinched the set’s fifth and decisive break at 5-4 to force a decider. Third-seed Shnaider carved out an advantage early on in the third set when she broke Alexandrova in the first game and held serve to go 2-0 up, an advantage she would not relinquish. World No. 12 Shnaider is now unbeaten in her last five