England are prepared to play Ben Stokes as a batsman only when they defend their 50-over men’s ICC World Cup title in India after the Test captain reversed his decision to retire from one-day internationals.
The all-rounder, troubled by a longstanding knee injury that restricted his bowling during the drawn Ashes Test series at home to Australia, said playing in all three international formats was “unsustainable” when calling time on his one-day career 13 months ago.
The 32-year-old had planned to use a six-month gap until England next play Test cricket, away to India, to attend to his chronic problem, but he is now set for a role as a specialist batsman as one of nine survivors named in a 15-man squad to face New Zealand in three home one-day internationals next month that is also set to double as England’s warm-up for a World Cup in India that runs from Oct. 5 to Nov. 19.
Photo: Reuters
“It wasn’t really a case of changing his [Stokes’] mind,” England national selector Luke Wright said after the squad was unveiled on Wednesday. “Once his body was in a good place and he’d had a rest, he was really keen to play. He still has time to do his rest and rehab, which he’s doing, and he says his knee does feel like it’s improving.”
“The one thing we won’t be doing is pushing him to bowl unless he’s absolutely fit and raring to go. That was a big part of the decision for him, being able to just play as a batter and that was an easy decision for us,” Wright said. “Ultimately the decision came down to it’s a World Cup we want to win and we feel like we are better, and have more chance, with Stokesy than we haven’t. If ever there’s someone for the big moments it’s Ben Stokes.”
The return of Stokes, the player of the match in the 2019 World Cup final against New Zealand at Lord’s in London and the man whose unbeaten half-century led his side to victory in the Twenty20 equivalent last year, comes at the expense of Harry Brook.
The Yorkshire batsman has been the rising star of the England setup during the past year, with the 24-year-old having compiled four centuries in 12 Tests, while boasting strike rates of 98.85 and 137.77 in one-day internationals and T20s respectively.
“It’s as hard a decision as you’re ever going to get,” said Wright, who labeled Brook a “superstar” before adding: “But unfortunately in a 15-man squad, someone’s going to have to miss out. On this occasion it’s been him.”
Uncapped Surrey fast bowler Gus Atkinson, who has been clocked at 153kph, is also in the squad, seemingly as cover for Jofra Archer.
The injured Archer, the Super Over star of the 2019 World Cup final, is recovering from his latest elbow injury.
‘EVERYONE SAW’: The visitors were left fuming after Jules Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the buildup to the winning goal and it went unpunished Spanish champions Barcelona on Monday fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga. Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead. Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark. However, goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback. “In the end Girona deserved it, they had a lot of
A dominant Cade Cunningham on Thursday scored 42 points as the NBA-leading Detroit Pistons swatted aside the New York Knicks 126-111 on the NBA’s return from its brief All-Star Game break. Billed as a must-watch clash between two Eastern Conference rivals each in red-hot form, the game at Madison Square Garden became an exhibition for Cunningham, who also provided 13 assists and eight rebounds. The 24-year-old burnished his credentials as a Most Valuable Player contender, helping a young, surprise-package Pistons side to improve the best record in the entire NBA this season so far, to 41-13. After the game, Cunningham said that he
Amanda Anisimova on Monday was handed a walkover into the last 16 of the Dubai Open after her opponent Barbora Krejcikova was forced to withdraw from the WTA 1000 event. The American second seed enters the round-of-16 against Janice Tjen without swinging a racket as two-time Grand Slam winner Krejcikova pulled out due to an issue with her left thigh. They became the seventh and eighth players to pull out, a list that includes the world top two Aryna Sabalenka and Iga Swiatek. Tjen booked her meeting with Anisimova thanks to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 win in her round-of-32 match against 2021 US
MEN’s FREESKI BIG AIR: Norway’s Tormod Frostad found an extra gear under the most intense pressure to post a winning total of 195.50 to top the podium Japanese teenager Ami Nakai on Tuesday set the pace in the Olympic women’s figure skating competition as freestyle skier Tormod Frostad soared to gold in an all-time classic big air final. Nikai, 17, upstaged teammate Kaori Sakamoto at the Milano Ice Skating Arena, while Alysa Liu of the US rounded out a powerful top three after the short program. Sakamoto is searching for an elusive gold at her final Winter Games, but faces a stiff challenge from a new generation of Japanese stars including Nakai and Mone Chiba. The 25-year-old Sakamoto, a relative veteran in the sport, won both of her segments in