Philippine authorities demanded yesterday that boxing great Manny Pacquiao pay a US$50 million tax bill or risk having his assets seized, but the national hero vowed to take the fight to court.
The battle between one of the best boxers in history and the taxman has shocked Pacquiao’s army of fans in the Philippines, emerging just days after a comeback win in the ring was hailed as a moment of hope amid the aftermath of a deadly super typhoon.
Pacquiao disclosed on Tuesday that the Philippine Bureau of Internal Revenue wanted 2.2 billion pesos (US$50.2 million) for alleged unpaid taxes in 2008 and 2009, when he was at the peak of his career and one of the world’s highest-earning athletes.
Pacquiao, 34, insisted he had paid his taxes in the US and so did not need to do so in the Philippines because the two countries have an agreement allowing their citizens to avoid double taxation, but Philippine Tax Commissioner Kim Henares, who has spearheaded a high-profile campaign against tax evasion, stood firm yesterday, saying Pacquiao had failed for two years to provide documents proving his US payments.
“2.2 billion [pesos] is what Pacquiao owes now because of surcharges and interest,” Henares said on ABS-CBN television.
Henares said the tax bill may be cut if Pacquiao does provide certified documents proving he paid the US Internal Revenue Service.
“What we want is evidence that he [Pacquiao] actually paid the tax,” Henares said.
However, she said that even if Pacquiao had paid the 30 percent tax rate in the US, there would still be extra charges due in the Philippines because it has a higher rate of 32 percent.
The tax office has frozen Pacquiao’s bank accounts in the Philippines, which the boxer said had left him financially paralyzed.
Henares said the tax office could eventually take the money owed by stripping Pacquiao of his assets.
She said the tax office had already placed a “lien” on a Pacquiao property, worth millions of dollars, in one of Manila’s most exclusive gated communities.
A lien is a form of security which allows the tax office to take back money it is owed, via lease payments or sale of the property.
Pacquiao went on a publicity blitz on Tuesday night, appearing on all the major domestic television networks, to insist on his innocence and brand the tax office’s actions “harassment.”
“I am not a criminal or a thief. I am not hiding anything. I will face my problems as they come,” Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao’s US promoter Bob Arum also released a statement saying his Top Rank firm had paid the 30 percent taxes directly to the US Internal Revenue Service and certified paperwork to show proof would be available “very soon.”
However, Pacquiao’s Manila lawyer said yesterday that he would not give the tax office those documents, preferring instead to fight the issue in court.
“This is no longer within the jurisdiction of the BIR [Bureau of Internal Revenue],” lawyer Tranquil Salvador said. “The tax case is now with the court of tax appeals. We do not have to submit anything to the BIR.”
A court hearing has been set for Dec. 5.
Pacquiao, a former street kid who did not finish high school, has used his sporting career to launch a successful political career — he is a second-term congressman with publicly declared ambitions of eventually becoming president.
Pacquiao, a member of the main opposition alliance to Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, hinted the case against him may be political, calling for those involved to “forget about playing politics.”
At his peak Pacquiao was regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, becoming the only man to win world titles in eight weight divisions.
He lost two fights last year, leading some to predict his career was finished, but a convincing win over Brandon Rios of the US in Macau on Sunday reignited his career, sparking talk once again of a long-awaited bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She