Questionable calls by officials led the Yulon Luxgens to forfeit their game against the Dacin Tigers when the team walked out with only 19 seconds left on the clock, with Yulon’s coach hinting that they might sit out for the remainder of the season.
With the Luxgens trailing by three on Sunday, center Tseng Wen-ding’s follow-through on a shot attempt after he had been fouled by the Tigers’ Chang Chih-fong was ruled unsportsmanlike conduct by the baseline official.
The normally soft-spoken Luxgens skipper Chang Hsueh-lei stormed onto the court and eventually led his crew in the walk-out.
PHOTO: WANG MIN-WEI, TAIPEI TIMES
“If they [the Tigers] wanted it [title] so badly, we’ll let them have it,” Chang said after the game.
He also hinted at withdrawing his team for the rest of the season unless they receive an acceptable explanation from the league.
The Luxgens were also called for unsportsmanlike conduct earlier in the game when Chen Chih-chung was tagged for swinging his elbows at the Tigers’ Lin Yi-hui.
With the regular season title on the line and only a game separating the league-leading Tigers and the second-place Luxgens, the showdown between the squads was a dogfight from the tip-off, with neither team able to hold leads of more than eight points.
After the Luxgens fought back to within three, they had a chance to tie the game when Tseng was fouled while driving to the basket.
Instead, the premature departure by the Luxgens automatically resulted in a 20-0 loss and a fine of NT$600,000 (US$18,000).
At a press conference called by the league yesterday afternoon, officials said the Luxgens would have until noon on Friday to pay the fine or risk forfeiting their eligibility to compete in the SBL for two years.
The league also said it would use a foreign officiating crew assigned by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) for the upcoming playoffs so that the quality of officiating “would not be an issue” for any of the four postseason contenders.
MAJOR UPSET: Many gathered in Taipei to support Messi, whose chances of winning the World Cup were dented when the second-lowest-ranked team beat Argentina 2-1 Saudi Arabia yesterday pulled off one of the greatest upsets in FIFA World Cup history, roaring back to beat Lionel Messi’s Argentina 2-1 and set the tournament in Qatar alight. Copa America champions Argentina came into the game on a 36-match unbeaten streak and appeared to be on their way to a straightforward victory after Messi stroked home an early penalty. This is likely to be the final World Cup of Messi’s glittering career and it is the one major title to elude him. Manager Lionel Scaloni’s team could have put the game beyond Saudi Arabia’s reach in the first half, but
Eight-time NBA All-Star Dwight Howard on Sunday lost his first game with the T1 League’s Taoyuan Leopards, in a 94-103 home defeat to the Taichung Suns. Howard came close to achieving another triple-double in his second game in Taiwan. After grabbing 38 points, 25 rebounds and nine assists against the New Taipei CTBC DEA on Saturday, he tallied 23 points, 10 assists and nine boards against Taichung. Howard, who turns 37 on Dec. 8, led the Leopards in minutes played, accumulating about 91 of 101 total minutes of play over two games within 26 hours. “Yes, this is the most minutes I’ve played
EMPTY SEATS: Soon after Valencia’s second goal at the half-hour mark, an exodus of fans began, and as the match wore on swathes of unfilled seats could be seen Qatar on Sunday became the first World Cup hosts to lose their opening match, going down 2-0 to Ecuador, as soccer’s showpiece got under way after 12 years of turbulent preparations. Qatar has spent US$200 billion on a remarkable construction project to host the World Cup after the tiny Gulf state shocked the soccer world by winning the right to host the tournament in 2010. A crowd of 67,372 packed into the impressive Al-Bayt Stadium, modeled on a traditional Bedouin tent, for the opening ceremony. South Korean K-pop star Jung Kook headlined the 30-minute spectacle that featured Hollywood star Morgan Freeman giving a
Manchester United’s owners on Tuesday said they were ready to sell the club, potentially bringing down the curtain on an acrimonious 17 years under the Glazer family. On a tumultuous day for the English giants, it was earlier revealed that star player Cristiano Ronaldo has left the club with “immediate effect.” Weeks of turbulence appeared to have come to an end when United announced Ronaldo’s contract had been terminated by mutual agreement to bring to an end his second spell at Old Trafford. That dramatic announcement was eclipsed just hours later by the news that the US-based Glazer family could also be on