Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian yesterday defended a memorandum of understanding as the best way for the country to move beyond what he described as a situation of “neither war nor peace” with the US.
“There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation,” Pezeshkian said in a speech published by the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency. “The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path.”
The memorandum of understanding that US President Donald Trump signed in June set a 60-day deadline for ending the war with Iran and reaching an accord on its nuclear program. That period ended last week, but no signs of compromise have emerged, especially on the crucial issue of reopening the Strait of Hormuz, vital to global shipping.
Photo: AP
Pezeshkian also linked the agreement to Iran’s economic prospects, saying the country could not attract investment in this stalled phase.
Nearly six months into the war with the US and Israel, Iran’s economy is suffering under sanctions and a naval blockade.
Meanwhile, the new leader of the Iranian Supreme National Security Council warned Tehran’s neighbors against joining the new US effort to hurt Iran’s economy.
“If [Trump] wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner,” Mohsen Rezaei said in an interview with state-run Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting that aired on Saturday.
Rezaei was named this month as part of senior appointments widely seen as hardening Tehran’s political and military stance. His interview is his most extensive public statement since then.
Rezaei said Iran would target oil-shipping routes out of the Persian Gulf — alternatives to the Strait of Hormuz — if neighbors join what he described as the economic war against Iran.
Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir is today leading an official delegation traveling to Tehran, Iranian state television reported, citing Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Esmail Baghaei.
Two regional officials said the visit was part of Islamabad’s ongoing efforts to de-escalate tensions between the US and Iran, and urge both countries to return to the negotiating table.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
Japan will conduct tests of hypersonic missiles and other projectiles on Australian soil, the two countries’ defense ministers said yesterday as they deepened military cooperation, including with a codeveloped laser system. Australian Minister for Defence Richard Marles said alongside his Japanese counterpart, Shinjiro Koizumi, in Canberra that the deal would see a “better and enhanced arrangement between Australia and Japan for Japan’s use of our missile ranges over the course of the next decade.” “We have spoken previously about Australia being able to provide strategic depth to Japan across a range of areas, but one of them is the use
A German veteran journalist and author said the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB) has confirmed his suspicion that he was followed by a Chinese spy on Alishan (阿里山) last year. Jurgen Kremb, who has long researched Chinese intelligence agencies, Asian geopolitics and cross-strait relations, made the comment during an interview with Taiwan Plus on Sunday. A video of the interview was subsequently shared by the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei on its Facebook page. Kremb said that last year, while writing a report on Chinese espionage activities targeting Taiwan, he traveled to Alishan with friends. A young Asian woman approached them and
2027 BUDGET: Given the nation’s strong economic growth, the government has proposed the universal cash handout to allow everyone to share in the ‘AI dividend’ The government would allocate NT$235.7 billion (US$7.4 billion) in next year’s budget to fund a NT$10,000 cash payment for every citizen next year as the economy continues to grow, President William Lai (賴清德) announced yesterday. Lai made the announcement after being briefed on the Executive Yuan’s proposed central government budget for next year for the second time. The government would still maintain a balanced budget with no net increase in debt after incorporating the universal cash handout into the general budget, he said. The latest statistics from the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics show Taiwan’s economy performing more strongly than previously
Ugandan immigration authorities have returned the passports of four Taiwanese after withholding the travel documents at Entebbe International Airport, Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Hsiao Kuang-wei (蕭光偉) said yesterday. After hearing about the incident, the ministry immediately instructed its representative office in Somaliland, which is responsible for affairs involving Uganda, to closely monitor the situation and work with the Uganda Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce to communicate with the authorities there, Hsiao said. The passports were returned to their holders on Wednesday local time, he said. The incident followed an earlier incident in which Ugandan immigration officials withheld the passports of two Taiwanese at