The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) yesterday called for the immediate release of two Hong Kong pro-democracy activists after Hong Kong’s Court of First Instance convicted them and the now-defunct Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China of subversion.
The MAC expressed “deep regret and sorrow” over the convictions, and urged the Chinese and Hong Kong governments to stop what it described as political persecution.
Hong Kong media outlet Sing Tao Daily said the convicted defendants are former alliance chairman Lee Cheuk-yan (李卓人) and former vice chairwoman Chow Hang-tung (鄒幸彤).
Photo: Reuters
Another former vice chairman, Albert Ho (何俊仁), pleaded guilty before the trial began.
The alliance, which was dissolved in 2021, had for decades organized peaceful events commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, and advocated for democracy and freedom in China, the MAC said.
The defendants were charged under Hong Kong’s National Security Law with inciting others to organize, plan or participate in acts aimed at subverting state power between July 1, 2020, and Sept. 8, 2021, Sing Tao Daily reported.
The MAC said the case took nearly five years to work its way through the courts, during which the defendants spent a prolonged period in detention, raising international concerns about the deterioration of human rights and the rule of law in Hong Kong.
The rule of law, freedom of speech and thought, and respect for human rights are essential to maintaining Hong Kong’s status as an international financial center, as well as its prosperity and stability, the MAC said.
It urged Beijing and the Hong Kong government to stop using national security laws to suppress dissent and release those detained in the case.
‘UNITED FRONT’ TACTICS: Beijing is pressuring Taiwanese politicians to block the Executive Yuan’s proposed special act to fund military uncrewed vehicles, a source said The Legislative Yuan is slated to hold cross-caucus negotiations on 14 versions of a draft uncrewed vehicle act on Thursday, amid rumors that Beijing is pressuring some Taiwanese politicians to block passage of a special bill proposed by the Ministry of National Defense to procure military drones and uncrewed vessels. A source in Beijing said the Chinese Communist Party has been using its United Front Work Department and Taiwan Affairs Office to pressure Taiwanese politicians who are friendly toward Beijing, pushing them to block the Executive Yuan’s proposed special act to fund military uncrewed vehicles. The proposed legislation would allocate
Japan will conduct tests of hypersonic missiles and other projectiles on Australian soil, the two countries’ defense ministers said yesterday as they deepened military cooperation, including with a codeveloped laser system. Australian Minister for Defence Richard Marles said alongside his Japanese counterpart, Shinjiro Koizumi, in Canberra that the deal would see a “better and enhanced arrangement between Australia and Japan for Japan’s use of our missile ranges over the course of the next decade.” “We have spoken previously about Australia being able to provide strategic depth to Japan across a range of areas, but one of them is the use
A German veteran journalist and author said the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB) has confirmed his suspicion that he was followed by a Chinese spy on Alishan (阿里山) last year. Jurgen Kremb, who has long researched Chinese intelligence agencies, Asian geopolitics and cross-strait relations, made the comment during an interview with Taiwan Plus on Sunday. A video of the interview was subsequently shared by the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei on its Facebook page. Kremb said that last year, while writing a report on Chinese espionage activities targeting Taiwan, he traveled to Alishan with friends. A young Asian woman approached them and
2027 BUDGET: Given the nation’s strong economic growth, the government has proposed the universal cash handout to allow everyone to share in the ‘AI dividend’ The government would allocate NT$235.7 billion (US$7.4 billion) in next year’s budget to fund a NT$10,000 cash payment for every citizen next year as the economy continues to grow, President William Lai (賴清德) announced yesterday. Lai made the announcement after being briefed on the Executive Yuan’s proposed central government budget for next year for the second time. The government would still maintain a balanced budget with no net increase in debt after incorporating the universal cash handout into the general budget, he said. The latest statistics from the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics show Taiwan’s economy performing more strongly than previously