Annual war games between South Korea and the US are to end about a week earlier than planned, both countries said yesterday, after US President Donald Trump ordered the “inappropriate and hostile” drills scaled back.
Trump on Sunday said that he had told the Pentagon to curtail the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercises — a day before they started — citing his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Pyongyang’s state media yesterday called the drills a “most immediate and open threat,” without mentioning Trump’s order.
Photo: AP
Hours later, Seoul’s military said the drills would wrap up tomorrow, not on Friday next week as originally planned.
“We have decided to adjust the UFS exercise period to run from the 17th to the 21st,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
The decision was made “at the suggestion of the US side,” it added.
The Pentagon said the “substantially reduced” drills would “preserve essential readiness and ... [cause] no degradation to US training objectives.”
The exercises are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.
They were understood to consist of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was due to run until tomorrow; and the second, focused on a counteroffensive, from Monday to Friday next week.
The second phase is now understood to have been scrapped.
A South Korean military official told reporters that Seoul viewed the decision as “unusual.”
Yesterday’s commentary by Pyongyang’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said the drills pose “the most immediate and open threat” to North Korea and “regional security.”
It did not mention Trump’s order or his desire to resume talks with Kim, with whom he has hinted at being in contact.
Hong Min, a senior researcher at the Seoul-based Korea Institute for National Unification, said that Pyongyang had deliberately avoided mentioning Trump.
North Korea was “sticking to general principles as if completely unaware of” Trump’s comments, he told reporters.
“Showing awareness could suggest a degree of mutual understanding,” but feigning ignorance signals that the issue could become a key bargaining point in any future talks with Trump, he said.
‘UNITED FRONT’ TACTICS: Beijing is pressuring Taiwanese politicians to block the Executive Yuan’s proposed special act to fund military uncrewed vehicles, a source said The Legislative Yuan is slated to hold cross-caucus negotiations on 14 versions of a draft uncrewed vehicle act on Thursday, amid rumors that Beijing is pressuring some Taiwanese politicians to block passage of a special bill proposed by the Ministry of National Defense to procure military drones and uncrewed vessels. A source in Beijing said the Chinese Communist Party has been using its United Front Work Department and Taiwan Affairs Office to pressure Taiwanese politicians who are friendly toward Beijing, pushing them to block the Executive Yuan’s proposed special act to fund military uncrewed vehicles. The proposed legislation would allocate
Japan will conduct tests of hypersonic missiles and other projectiles on Australian soil, the two countries’ defense ministers said yesterday as they deepened military cooperation, including with a codeveloped laser system. Australian Minister for Defence Richard Marles said alongside his Japanese counterpart, Shinjiro Koizumi, in Canberra that the deal would see a “better and enhanced arrangement between Australia and Japan for Japan’s use of our missile ranges over the course of the next decade.” “We have spoken previously about Australia being able to provide strategic depth to Japan across a range of areas, but one of them is the use
A German veteran journalist and author said the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB) has confirmed his suspicion that he was followed by a Chinese spy on Alishan (阿里山) last year. Jurgen Kremb, who has long researched Chinese intelligence agencies, Asian geopolitics and cross-strait relations, made the comment during an interview with Taiwan Plus on Sunday. A video of the interview was subsequently shared by the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei on its Facebook page. Kremb said that last year, while writing a report on Chinese espionage activities targeting Taiwan, he traveled to Alishan with friends. A young Asian woman approached them and
2027 BUDGET: Given the nation’s strong economic growth, the government has proposed the universal cash handout to allow everyone to share in the ‘AI dividend’ The government would allocate NT$235.7 billion (US$7.4 billion) in next year’s budget to fund a NT$10,000 cash payment for every citizen next year as the economy continues to grow, President William Lai (賴清德) announced yesterday. Lai made the announcement after being briefed on the Executive Yuan’s proposed central government budget for next year for the second time. The government would still maintain a balanced budget with no net increase in debt after incorporating the universal cash handout into the general budget, he said. The latest statistics from the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics show Taiwan’s economy performing more strongly than previously