Children under 16 are to be banned from using social media in the UK, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced yesterday, saying such platforms were making young people “unhappy.”
Some children’s charities welcomed the sweeping change, which is likely to trigger a major fight with US tech giants, but others warned it could make teenagers less safe online.
Starmer said social media sites were exposing children to content that is “dangerous” and “designed to be addictive.”
Photo: Bloomberg
The ban it to “include platforms like Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and X,” but not messaging services such as WhatsApp, the government said.
Starmer said the upcoming ban was influenced by the experience of Australia, which in December became the first nation to ban people under-16 from social media.
He added during a news conference in Downing Street that he hoped to pass the regulation by late December and for the ban to come into force in spring next year. He suggested that YouTube Kids, Lego Play and Google Classroom would not be prohibited.
The government said in a statement it is also considering overnight curfews and breaks in infinite scrolling for minors, and would announce more details next month.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese welcomed the move in a post on X, saying: “Social media giants operate across borders. By standing together, we can do more to hold them accountable and keep children safe online.”
Starmer’s announcement follows a government-led consultation where teenagers trialed social media bans and time limits on apps.
The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children called the ban “a win” for children and parents, but said that it must be followed up with “robust age checks on platforms” and “an effective enforcement regime.”
Save The Children UK’s senior adviser Jeffrey DeMarco said his charity was concerned a ban “pushes children into less regulated spaces, where they are less likely to seek help when something goes wrong.”
A spokesperson for YouTube responded with a warning that such a blanket ban would push children towards “less safe services.”
The government also said it would block “harmful functions” on gaming services and live-streaming platforms allowing strangers to contact children.
“Is there a situation in the offline world where you would just let your child pair up with a stranger? An adult that you don’t know about? No. So we’re taking action on that,” Starmer said, without giving details.
The UK government’s consultation on the issue, which closed late last month, attracted about 116,000 contributions, making it the second-largest response ever received.
More than 83 percent of parents who responded said the risks posed by social media outweighed the benefits for children, with 91 percent backing a minimum age of 16.
National Taiwan University (NTU) yesterday said it disqualified a person from an entrance examination for using AI smart glasses to cheat, along with two others for making untruthful statements in their curriculum vitae. The three applicants were given null scores, Taiwan’s highest-ranked university said, calling on prospective students to be honest in the admissions process. NTU registrar Lee Hung-sen (李宏森) said that the cheating applicant wore a hat and thick-rimmed glasses to the second written exam for medical school, claiming that they felt cold. Suspicions were aroused when the applicant stared oddly at the test for long stretches while steadily bringing the paper
MILITARY ISSUES: A partisan divide between the Cabinet and the legislature ‘raised questions about Taiwan’s ability to adequately fund its defense,’ the report said Taiwan’s defense budget, military personnel numbers and resilience are challenges to its ability to meet national defense goals, the US Naval Institute said in a report published on Tuesday. In response to the perception of a growing military threat posed by China, Taiwan has embarked on an effort to enhance the capabilities needed to deter an attempt by Beijing to annex the nation by force, the institute said in the US Congressional Research Service report, titled Taiwan: Defense and Military Issues, which was filed on Thursday last week. Taiwan’s defense budget increased by about 7.5 percent from 2024 to last year, it
NOT JUST NUMBERS: What matters to intelligence work is crucial, reliable information, so even a few credible leads can be highly valuable to national security, a legislator said The National Security Bureau (NSB) yesterday said it has finished the establishment of an information-reporting channel for Chinese nationals, the aim of which is to broaden intelligence gathering on China’s political, military, economic and social developments. Chinese nationals can submit information on the Web page, https://report.nsb.gov.tw, the NSB said in a statement. The move aims to expand the bureau’s diverse intelligence sources and is pursuant to the National Intelligence Services Act (國家情報工作法), it said, adding that it referenced practices adopted by intelligence agencies in the US, the UK and Israel. An increasing number of people are approaching Taiwanese agencies to provide information, as
66 FIGHTER JETS: The aircraft is likely undergoing preparations for its transfer to Taiwan — a significant step forward in the nation’s modernization program, a lawmaker said The first of Taiwan’s order of F-16V Block 70 aircraft has been sighted in Texas ahead of delivery, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Wang Ting-yu (王定宇) said. Taiwan’s first F-16V Block 70 two-seat aircraft, tail number 6831, was seen flying from Lockheed Martin’s production facility in Greenville, South Carolina, to Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth in Texas, Wang wrote on Facebook yesterday. The plane is likely undergoing preparations for its transfer to Taiwan, marking a significant step forward in the Republic of China Air Force’s modernization program, Wang said, citing military analysts. The F-16V Block 70 is a new-build version