Ukraine was scrambling to turn lights and heating back on yesterday after Russian attacks targeted energy infrastructure, with the state power provider saying its generating capacity was reduced to “zero.”
Moscow, which has escalated attacks on Ukraine’s infrastructure in the past few months, launched hundreds of drones at energy facilities across the country on Saturday.
Ukrainian strikes on Russia’s own infrastructure meanwhile left more than 20,000 people without power in regions bordering Ukraine, local authorities said.
Photo: AP
The Russian attacks interrupted electricity, heat and water supplies in several cities, with state power firm Centerenergo warning its generating capacity “is down to zero.”
“An unprecedented number of missiles and countless drones — several per minute — targeted the same thermal power plants that we had restored after the devastating attack of 2024,” Centrenergo said in a statement.
Power was cut for between eight and 16 hours a day across most regions of Ukraine yesterday, state power transmission system operator Ukrenergo said, while repairs were carried out and energy sourcing diverted.
Ukrainian Minister of Energy Svitlana Hrynchuk called it “one of the most difficult nights” since Russia sent troops into Ukraine in February 2022.
While the situation had somewhat stabilized, regions including Kyiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk, Kharkiv, Poltava, Chernihiv and Sumy could continue to see regular power cuts, Hrynchuk said on Saturday evening.
“The enemy inflicted a massive strike with ballistic missiles, which are extremely difficult to shoot down. It is hard to recall such a number of direct strikes on energy facilities since the beginning of the invasion,” she told local broadcaster United News.
Russian drones had targeted two nuclear power substations deep in western Ukraine, Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrii Sybiha said, calling on the UN’s nuclear watchdog to respond.
“Russia is deliberately endangering nuclear safety in Europe. We call for an urgent meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors to respond to these unacceptable risks,” he wrote on Telegram late on Saturday, referring to the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Sybiha also urged China and India — traditionally large buyers of Russian oil — to pressure Moscow to cease its attacks.
Russia has targeted the power and heating grid throughout its almost four-year invasion, destroying a large part of the key civilian infrastructure.
The weekend’s barrage was the ninth massive attack on gas infrastructure since early last month, Ukraine’s energy company Naftogaz said.
Kyiv’s School of Economics estimated in a report that the attacks shut down half of Ukraine’s natural gas production.
Ukraine has in turn stepped up strikes on Russian oil depots and refineries in recent months, seeking to cut off Moscow’s vital energy exports and trigger fuel shortages across the country.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House