An Akizuki-class destroyer last month made the first-ever solo transit of a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force ship through the Taiwan Strait, Japanese government officials with knowledge of the matter said yesterday.
The JS Akizuki carried out a north-to-south transit through the Taiwan Strait on Feb. 5 as it sailed to the South China Sea to participate in a joint exercise with US, Australian and Philippine forces that day.
The Japanese destroyer JS Sazanami in September last year made the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force’s first-ever transit through the Taiwan Strait, but it was joined by vessels from New Zealand and Australia, the Japanese daily Sankei Shimbun reported.
Photo: Screen grab from Seaforces.org’s Web site
The Akizuki-class destroyer made last month’s transit alone, and the move aimed to counter China’s aggressive behavior in the East and South China seas, the Sankei Shimbun reported.
The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force in a news release on Feb. 6 said that the JS Akizuki conducted a Japan-US-Australia-Philippine multilateral exercise in the South China Sea.
“Upholding the right of freedom of navigation and overflight, other lawful uses of the sea and international airspace, as well as respect for maritime right under international law, as reflected in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, the maritime cooperative activity showed a commonsense of value and a strong will to realize a ‘Free and Open Indo-Pacific,’” it said.
Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba approved the destroyer’s transit in response to previous proactive actions by China, a source with knowledge of the matter was quoted as saying in the report.
Six Chinese ships, including three military vessels and three coast guard vessels, sailed from the Pacific Ocean to the East China Sea in December last year, they were also quoted as saying.
Four China Coast Guard vessels have also been making intrusions into the territorial waters of the Diaoyutais (釣魚台列嶼), known as the Senkaku Islands in Japan, which are administered by Japan, but also claimed by Taiwan and China. Tokyo sees the vessels’ actions as provocative, they said.
The Taiwan Strait is considered to be international waters by many countries including the US.
The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force said that freedom of navigation should be ensured, but with concerns over China’s strong opposition, Japan previously did not send ships to transit the Taiwan Strait, the Sankei Shimbun reported.
However, as cross-strait tensions have been rising, Japan’s stance has also changed and is now proactively calling for freedom of navigation in the Taiwan Strait, it said.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very