The US government on Friday announced arms sales involving spare parts and support for F-16 fighter aircraft and follow-up support for Improved Mobile Subscriber Equipment (IMSE), at a total cost of US$387 million.
It is the 18th arms sale approved by US President Joe Biden’s administration to Taiwan and the sixth since the nation’s presidential and legislative elections on Jan. 13.
The Pentagon’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said it delivered the required certification notifying the US Congress of the latest arms sale on Friday.
Photo: Cheng I-hwa, Bloomberg
The proposed arms sale is consistent with US law and policy as expressed in Public Law 96-8, the agency added.
The agency in a statement released on Friday said the US Department of State has approved foreign military sales of spare parts and support for F-16 fighter jet and active electronically scanned array radars and related equipment at an estimated cost of US$320 million to Taiwan.
Deliveries are expected to begin next year.
The agency said the proposed sale would improve Taiwan’s ability to meet threats by maintaining the operational readiness of its fleet of F-16 aircraft.
The agency in a separate statement said the US State Department has also approved the sale of follow-up support for IMSE for about US$65 million.
The Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US requested the procurement of extended services provided under a previously implemented case, including follow-up support for the IMSE and Experimental Force system.
The proposed sale aims to extend those same services for an additional two years, the agency said.
The two arms sale deals serve “US national, economic and security interests by supporting the recipient’s continuing efforts to modernize its armed forces and to maintain a credible defensive capability,” it said.
The proposed arms sale deals would also “help improve the security of the recipient and assist in maintaining political stability, military balance and economic progress in the region,” it added.
The sale of spare parts and support services for F-16 aircraft would be transferred from US government stock, the agency said.
Implementation of the sale would not require the assignment of any additional US government or contractor representatives to Taiwan, it added.
In terms of the sale of follow-up support for IMSE, the agency said the principal contractor would be General Dynamics Mission Systems, in Fairfax, Virginia.
Implementation of the sale would not require the assignment of US government representatives, but would require three contractor Technical Assistance Representatives being sent to Taiwan to support equipment fielding and training, it added.
In Taipei, the Presidential Office yesterday said the latest arms sale deepened the Taiwan-US security partnership and is an important cornerstone for peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
The Ministry of National Defense expressed gratitude to the US for the latest arms sale, which it said would continue to provide Taiwan with assistance building the nation’s self-defense capabilities and establish a foundation to maintain regional stability.
The sale of spare parts and support for F-16 fighter jets and active electronically scanned array radar logistics is expected to help maintain the combat readiness of the air force’s F-16 fleet and strengthen the country’s air defenses, it said.
The proposed sale of IMSE follow-up support would provide Taiwan with necessary assistance to maintain the effectiveness of its tactical regional communications system, reinforce field information communication capabilities and establish a reliable defense, it added.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said it has received a formal notice from the US government for the two proposed arms sale deals, which highlight the efforts of the Biden administration to ensure Taiwan has sufficient self-defense capability to take on threats from China.
MOFA also thanked the US government for approving the two arms sale deals to Taiwan based on the Taiwan Relations Act (TRA) and “six assurances.”
The TRA was enacted in 1979 to maintain commercial, cultural and other unofficial relations between the US and Taiwan after Washington switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. The TRA also requires the US “to provide Taiwan with arms of a defensive character.”
The “six assurances,” which were issued by then-US president Ronald Reagan to Taiwan in 1982, include pledges that the US would not to set a date for ending arms sales to Taiwan and would not hold prior consultations with China on arms sales to Taiwan.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue