The Executive Yuan yesterday approved a plan to allocate NT$28.55 billion (US$878.57 million) for Hualien County reconstruction after it was affected by a earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale on April 3.
The approval came after Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) listened to briefings from government agencies at a weekly Cabinet meeting yesterday morning.
The funds would cover spending in four key areas — NT$18.44 billion to repair and rebuild public infrastructure, NT$5.84 billion to shelter people whose homes were damaged and build new ones, NT$4.08 billion to boost the tourism and cultural industries, and NT$190 million for employment assistance programs and other subsidies.
Photo: Hua Meng-ching, Taipei Times
Cabinet spokesman Lin Tze-luen (林子倫) said that the Ministry of the Interior has been asked to establish an office in Hualien to help residents affected by the earthquake and coordinate affairs related to rebuilding homes.
Of the funding allocated to boost tourism, NT$1.584 billion would be used to encourage people to visit agricultural and indigenous communities, a plan announced at a news conference after the Cabinet meeting showed.
Part of the funding for industry development would be used to provide credit guarantees for accommodation providers seeking to finance their business and incentives to increase the use of culture vouchers issued by the Ministry of Culture, the plan showed.
As infrastructure in Taroko National Park was severely damaged, the Ministry of the Interior aims to spend NT$3.023 billion restoring and rebuilding in three stages: emergency repairs, shoring up safety of facilities using technology, and enhancing overall travel safety and quality.
Although railway services to the east coast have resumed normal operations, NT$1.797 billion would be spent to better integrate automatic train protection and earthquake alert systems, install earthquake alarms near Heren (和仁) and Chongde (崇德) stations in Hualien’s Sioulin Township (秀林), repair damaged tracks and reinforce side slopes.
Sources of funding include tax revenue, emergency funds, public donations and budgets that have been earmarked for previous government projects, the plan showed.
So far, government agencies have delivered a combined NT$15.97 billion through rearrangement of policy priorities to meet urgent quake-related needs this year.
From next year, all levels of government are to budget for a multiyear plan that would raise NT$12.58 billion to help rebuild Hualien.
National Construction and Planning Agency Director-General Wu Hsin-hsiu (吳欣修) said that the nation has sufficient facilities to accommodate those affected by the massive earthquake and aftershocks.
So far, 685 households have applied for rent subsidies and accommodation providers have made 2,000 rooms available for people affected by the earthquakes, Wu said, adding that the government has the capacity to provide shelter to more than 2,600 households.
“Prefab homes need to be regularly maintained and residents would experience greater inconvenience than those living in rented homes or in hotels. However, we will assist those who clearly indicate that they want to live in prefab homes,” Wu said.
To shelter individuals and families affected by the earthquake, the government would offer a monthly rent subsidy of NT$8,000 for households of up to three and NT$18,000 for a household of eight or more.
Those who stay in hotels are to receive NT$32,000 per month for a two-bed room or NT$44,000 for a four-person room.
Meanwhile, those who move to a different home would be eligible for subsidies ranging from NT$10,000 to NT$50,000. Those whose homes were determined by the government to have been damaged would receive up to NT$300,000 for repairs.
The Tourism Administration said that accommodation providers can apply for financing and quick cash loans.
A hotel applying for capital financing can receive up to NT$30 million, while bed-and-breakfast operators can receive up to NT$4 million, it said.
The maximum loan for quick cash is NT$10 million for a hotel and NT$3 million for a bed and breakfast, it said.
In addition, individual tourists traveling to Hualien would receive an accommodation subsidy of NT$1,000 per room if they check into a hotel on a weekday excluding Friday, while the room subsidy would be NT$500 for checking in on Fridays or weekends, the Tourism Administration said.
People who check into a hotel in Taitung on a weekday excluding Friday would be eligible for a subsidy of NT$1,000 per room, the agency said.
Travel agencies are eligible for subsidies of up to NT$20,000 for arranging two-day or longer group tours to Hualien and NT$15,000 to Taitung, provided that each group consists of 20 or more members, the Tourism Administration said.
Each travel agency can receive subsidies for no more than five tour groups, and the tour must have at least one day that is not on a weekend or a holiday, it said.
To encourage international travelers to visit Hualien, travel agencies chartering flights and bringing at least 50 foreign tourists to the county would be eligible for NT$300,000 to NT$400,000 in subsidies, depending on the travel market the visitors are coming from, it said.
The tourism incentives would be implemented from July 1 to September, it added.
From June 1, travelers can board Taiwan Tourist Shuttle Bus services between Hualien and Taitung County free of charge and would receive an 80 percent discount for Taiwan Tour Bus services in the two counties, it said.
Taiwan Railway Corp is to issue a new version of TaiwanPass on June 1 that includes a special offer to purchase two passes for the price of one, the Tourism Administration said.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House