The Ministry of National Defense is talking with the US about using the appropriation authority granted to the US president to send a US$500 million arms package to Taiwan, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said yesterday.
The arms package is being offered by the US government to “compensate for defense loopholes created by delays in the delivery of weapons that Taiwan has procured,” Chiu told a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee in Taipei.
“Once such a package is approved, the US and Taiwan would double-check weapons that have been procured by Taiwan, but have yet to be delivered. The US government could then start delivering some of the weapons that they have at the moment or alternatives to meet the demands of Taiwan,” Chiu said.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
“The cost of this additional arms package would not be deducted from the military procurement spending that was already approved by the legislature,” he said.
Reuters reported on Friday last week that the US Congress, as a part of its budget, authorized up to US$1 billion of weapons aid for Taiwan using the Presidential Drawdown Authority, a rapid response tool that allows the US government to provide emergency military assistance to allies and partners in crisis.
Chiu also said that the ministry is still deliberating whether the military trial system should be reinstated after high-ranking military personnel were involved in a series of espionage cases.
Lawmakers across party lines have called for the reinstatement of the system to restore military discipline.
There are advantages and disadvantages to hearing military cases in civilian courts, Chiu said.
“Compared with military courts, trials in civilian courts would proceed in a fairer manner. However, lawsuits in civilian courts tend to take longer than those in a military court. The legal process is so long that military personnel might still be waiting for the verdicts even after they have already been discharged from the military. Restoring the military trial system is not something that can be done instantly and we are still reviewing the feasibility of the proposal,” he said.
In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said it would propose an amendment to the Military Trial Act (軍審法) “when the public has reached a consensus on reinstating the military trial system.”
However, as punishment of some military cases handed down by civilian courts were too lenient it has hurt discipline and the morale of troops, the ministry said in the report that it would advise prosecutors that they need to take into account the actions of individuals that contravene military ethical codes or disrupt military discipline.
The Military Trial Act, although not abolished, has not been enforced since 2013 after the legislature passed an amendment that transfered non-wartime crimes committed by active service members to prosecutors’ offices and civilian courts. Military prosecutors and military courts of all levels have since then been shut down.
The proposal to transfer military cases to civilian courts was made after former army corporal Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘) died of heat stroke two days before he was to be discharged from the military in 2013.
While the military concluded in its investigation that Hung died because of improper training, more than 100,000 people took part in protests to appeal for transparency in military cases.
In response to queries about comments by US Representative Seth Moulton that China should know that the US government would bomb Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) plants and destroy them if China were to invade Taiwan, Chiu said: “It would be the military’s responsibility to defend our territory, people or military resources. We would not tolerate any country bombing our facilities or invading our airspace.”
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue