Rescuers yesterday pulled a seven-month-old baby and a teenage girl from the rubble nearly a week after a powerful earthquake devastated huge areas of Turkey and Syria, killing more than 28,000 people.
UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths said that the death toll was likely to at least double, while denouncing a failure to provide sufficient aid for victims in war-torn northwestern Syria.
“We have so far failed the people in northwest Syria. They rightly feel abandoned. Looking for international help that hasn’t arrived,” Griffiths wrote on Twitter.
Photo: AFP
“My duty and our obligation is to correct this failure as fast as we can,” he added.
Griffiths arrived in southern Turkey on Saturday to assess the quake’s damage, telling Sky News he expected the death toll to “double or more” as the chances of finding survivors dim with each passing day.
Tens of thousands of rescue workers continued to scour flattened neighborhoods in freezing weather that has deepened the misery of millions in desperate need of aid.
Photo: CNA
Security concerns led some aid operations to be suspended, and dozens of people have been arrested for looting or trying to defraud victims in the aftermath of the quake in Turkey, state media reported.
However, miraculous tales of survival still emerged.
“Is the world there?” asked 70-year-old Menekse Tabak as she was pulled out from the concrete in the southern Turkish city of Kahramanmaras, near the epicenter of the magnitude 7.8 tremor, to applause and cries praising God, a video on state broadcaster TRT Haber showed.
A seven-month-old baby named Hamza was rescued in southern Hatay Province more than 140 hours after the quake, while Esma Sultan, 13, was also saved in Gaziantep, state media reported.
Families were racing against time to find their missing relatives’ bodies in southern Turkey.
“We hear [the authorities] will no longer keep the bodies waiting after a certain period of time, they say they will take them and bury them,” Tuba Yolcu said in Kahramanmaras.
Another family clutched each other in grief at a cotton field transformed into a cemetery, where a seemingly endless stream of bodies arrived for swift burials.
Officials and medics said that 24,617 people had died in Turkey and 3,574 in Syria. The confirmed total was 28,191.
Taiwan’s search-and-rescue team is to return on Wednesday, Minister of the Interior Lin Yu-chang (林右昌) said on Saturday.
With the hope of finding survivors waning after more than 120 hours since the earthquake on Monday last week, the Turkish government has begun to send heavy equipment into the worst-hit areas, which makes further rescue efforts unlikely, Lin said in a statement.
After careful consideration, the team has decided to wrap up its mission and return home, he said.
The Taiwanese rescue workers were to withdraw from Adiyaman Province yesterday morning and arrive in Istanbul tomorrow before boarding an EVA Airways charter flight home.
Shortly after the earthquake, Taiwan sent a 130-member rescue team and five search dogs to join international efforts to find survivors in Adiyaman.
The efforts of the Taiwanese team have been recognized internationally and helped Taipei forge closer friendships with Ankara, Lin said.
On Thursday, about 89 hours after the quake, members of the Taiwanese team pulled a 35-year-old woman from a collapsed residential building.
She was the second person rescued by the team.
They rescued another woman from a collapsed building in Adiyaman on Wednesday night. She died shortly afterward at a local hospital.
Additional reporting by staff writer, with CNA
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue