Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) yesterday said the government will continue to assist the Philippines with its relief and reconstruction efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, with “no limits on resources and manpower to help the country.”
Lin told a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee that the assistance offered to the Philippines was highly appreciated by Manila because it included much-needed relief goods and was being delivered promptly.
Two Republic of China Air Force C-130 transport planes left yesterday morning to ferry 15 tonnes of relief supplies to the Philippines and two more left in the afternoon. On Tuesday, two C-130s had delivered 15 tonnes of food, water, blankets and tents to Cebu.
Photo: AFP / Taiwan Military News Agency
The Ministry of National Defense had been considering using military vessels to transport supplies that have been donated by individuals, charities and religious organizations for post-disaster relief efforts because they total about 100 tonnes so far and the C-130s can only carry 7.5 tonnes at a time, Lin said.
In a statement issued last night, the ministry said six more planes would be sent today.
The ministry has been in close contact with “very high-ranking Philippine officials” about the list of relief supplies needed and delivery arrangements, he said.
Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Hsu Chung-hsin (許忠信) asked Lin whether the government planned to add to its US$200,000 financial donation to the Philippines.
That was a small amount compared with the government’s donation of US$3.3 million to Japan after the 2011 earthquake, Hsu said.
Lin said the US$200,000 donation had been made before the extent of the devastation in the Philippines became clear, and the government would continue to provide Manila with assistance to meet its rehabilitation and reconstruction needs.
“We did not just donate US$200,000. Taking into account the relief goods, valued at NT$50 million, and fuel and transportation costs, the donation amounted to US$4.3 million,” Lin said.
Lin told Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Yang Ying-hsiung (楊應雄), who also expressed concern about the amount of the financial donation, that plans for more relief are being formulated.
KMT Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) and Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Hsiao Bi-Khim (蕭美琴) both suggested that the government extend as much help as possible to the Philippines to pave the way for better bilateral relations.
Hsu said he was not happy that Taiwan had not been included in the list of 23 countries that have made offers of assistance to Manila compiled by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs.
However, the department did mention the help offered by Taiwan and organizations, including the UN and the EU in its announcement.
Taiwan was not on the list because the Philippines’ “one China” policy does not recognize Taiwan as a country, but the donation effort should not be politicized, Hsu said.
Meanwhile, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said the government will continue offering relief supplies and financial aid to the Philippines in the wake of Haiyan.
“The Philippines is a neighbor of the Republic of China, and engaged in various exchanges with us. More than 60,000 Philippine workers make great contributions to our industries and families in Taiwan, and we should lend a helping hand when our friend is in need,” he said.
“The cooperation between the government and civilian groups to give supplies to survivors in the aftermath of disasters has made us a respected country, and we will continue to play the role of a humanitarian in international society,” Ma said.
TAIWAN PROTECTION MEASURE: US Army General Charles Flynn would not say where in the Asia-Pacific the missiles would be sent, but only that they would arrive in 2024 The US is to send medium-range missiles including the Standard Missile 6 (SM-6) and Tomahawk to the Asia-Pacific next year to deter a Chinese attack on Taiwan, US military news Web site Defense One reported. The report cited comments US Army General Charles Flynn made during the annual Halifax International Security Forum on Nov. 19. “We have tested them and we have a battery or two of them today,” Flynn was quoted as saying. “In 24. We intend to deploy that system in your region. I’m not going to say where and when. But I will just say that we will
UNUSUAL UPTICK: There are more flu-like illnesses in northern China than in the past 3 years, but data from Beijing showed that known pathogens are responsible Responding to an uptick in respiratory illnesses in China, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday said it has instructed international airport and port quarantine centers to raise their alert levels, and plans to issue an alert to healthcare practitioners. The number of flu-like illnesses reported in northern China has been increasing for five consecutive weeks, and is higher than the same period in the past three years, CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞) said. “According to the WHO’s latest statement, issued yesterday, information provided by Chinese government showed that the illnesses were mainly reported among children, and the illnesses were attributed
LOYALTY: The 10 active and retired soldiers betrayed the nation and its people by leaking and passing on military secrets to China, the High Prosecutors’ Office said Ten former and current military officers were yesterday indicted on charges of spying for China, including two who allegedly filmed themselves pledging loyalty to Beijing. The High Prosecutors’ Office requested life imprisonment for the suspects in light of the severity of the crime. The 10 active-duty and retired officers included members of the 601st Brigade of the Aviation Special Forces comprising attack helicopter squadrons and elite combat units in charge of defending northern Taiwan, including Taipei. The other suspects came from Huadong Defense Command, in charge of defending the eastern coast; Kinmen Defense Command, in charge of defending Kinmen and Matsu; and one
THREE-WAY RACE: Hou You-yi said until the last minute he hoped to run with Ko Wen-je, but the latter did not pick up the phone when he called to make a final pitch The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) registered their own candidates yesterday after a breakdown in coalition talks, while independent candidate Terry Gou (郭台銘) dropped out, setting up a three-way race for the presidential election in January. TPP Chairman Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) was the first to officially register his candidacy with the Central Election Commission in Taipei yesterday, shortly after naming TPP Legislator Cynthia Wu (吳欣盈) as his running mate. Wu, the daughter of former Shin Kong Financial Holding Co (新光金控) chairman Eugene Wu (吳東進), is a TPP legislator-at-large who was appointed in November last year and had served