Somali elders yesterday launched a new bid to free an American held hostage for days on a lifeboat after his pirate captors fired on a US navy vessel and defied attempts to arrest them.
Even as negotiations resumed to free the American captain, pirates maneuvered an Italian vessel toward the Somali coastline after hijacking it with 16 people onboard in a separate incident on Saturday, pirate sources said.
Their defiance of Western naval powers showed the difficulty in dealing with the pirates wreaking havoc on one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.
Negotiations broke down on Saturday after US authorities insisted the pirates be arrested after handing over the American, Captain Richard Phillips, a Somali elder said.
The New York Times reported that the breakdown occurred hours after the pirates fired on a small US navy vessel that tried to approach the lifeboat in the Indian Ocean.
Quoting an unnamed US official, the paper reported that the US boat did not return fire.
“Efforts to end the matter did not succeed [on] Saturday and elders have left the village of Garacad [at] Saturday midnight to resume the negotiations again,” Mohamoud Jama, a Somali elder in Garacad, said by telephone.
“We have been told the pirates need a free passage after they release the captain and the American officials told them they are handing them over to the local authorities in Puntland,” Jama said, referring to the northern Somali breakaway region that is a main hub for piracy.
US navy forces have poured into the region since the attack on Phillips’ Danish-operated container ship, the Maersk Alabama, but the pirates have warned against using force to rescue him. He has been held aboard a lifeboat since the attack on Wednesday. The ship’s unarmed crew managed to regain control of the ship, but the pirates bundled Phillips into the lifeboat as they escaped.
They have demanded a ransom and said on Saturday they planned to move Phillips to another ship held by their “friends.”
The Maersk Alabama docked safely in Mombasa, Kenya, on Saturday and its crew was told to remain aboard while the FBI investigates.
The American crew praised their captain, with one member calling him a “hero” who saved their lives.
Pirates have intensified their attacks over the past week and seized another ship on Saturday, an Italian vessel with 16 people aboard.
The announcement of the capture of the 75m-long Buccaneer was made in an e-mail to the boat’s owners, Micoperi Marine Contractors, spokesman Claudio Bartolotti said from the company’s headquarters in Ravenna, Italy.
He said 10 Italians, five Romanians and a Croat were on board.
A pirate said on condition of anonymity that the Italian boat was being directed toward the Somali coastline yesterday.
“The tugboat is heading toward Las Qorey and there are more than 10 pirates onboard the tugboat,” he said from the pirate lair of Eyl. “There are also three speedboats accompanying it to the area.”
Las Qorey is located on the coast of the Gulf of Aden. A trader who sells fuel to the pirates said a group of his customers hijacked the tugboat and have been asking for fuel.
Also See: FEATURE : Pirates are 'noble heroes' to fellow Somalis
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats