Cellphone manufacturers may soon be asked to clearly label the specific absorption rate (SAR) of phones as a guide to potential health risks, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday.
SAR measures electromagnetic exposure to the human body.
Huang Ming-chen (黃銘真), a specialist at the commission’s technical management division, said manufacturers currently provide information for users about SAR in cellphone manuals with few labels placed on phones.
“When they [manufacturers] do [place labels on phones], the sticker is generally inside the battery socket, underneath the battery,” she said.
Huang said the commission might amend regulations to ask manufacturers to place stickers on the exterior of cellphones.
Huang made the statement in response to the results of a survey by the Taiwan Electromagnetic Radiation Hazard Protection and Control Association.
The survey explored the use of cellphones among children and teenagers aged six to 18. Between August and the beginning of this month, the association collected 1,132 valid samples nationwide.
Findings include an estimated 2.2 million in the specified age group owning cellphones. Approximately 390,000 of respondents talk on average for more than five minutes each time they use their phone and about 170,000 talk for more than 10 minutes.
The survey also found that 60 percent of cellphones have an SAR a million times higher than the background value within five seconds of a call being connected.
The association suggested that the government set an SAR standard for cellphones. Aside from labels, the government should ask manufacturers to place warnings on cellphones, such as “Frequent cellphone users are at higher risk of developing brain tumors,” the association said.
Huang, however, said that the SAR used by the association for cellphones is meaningless, since the tool they used to measure SAR is mainly used on objects with larger surface areas.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
CHINA’S VERSION: The TAO threatened Taiwan and denied the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County after two Chinese died fleeing the Taiwanese coast guard Taiwan would continue to enforce the law in restricted waters around Kinmen County, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday. The council was responding after China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) spokeswoman Zhu Fenglian (朱鳳蓮) on Saturday rejected the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County — a group of Taiwanese islands close to China’s coast — and said that Beijing reserves the right to take further measures after two Chinese died in the area. The two died on Wednesday after the speedboat they were in capsized while they were being pursued by Taiwanese Coast Guard Administration (CGA) officials. The speedboat had entered