Investigators from the Taipei Prosecutors' Office visited the construction site of the Taipei Financial Center yesterday, where five workers died after Sunday's earthquake.
Prosecutors are attempting to determine whether negligence contributed to the workers' deaths.
Sunday's quake -- which measured 6.8 on the Richter scale at its epicenter outside Hualien -- shook loose two massive cranes perched atop the 56th floor of what is to be a 101-story skyscraper.
PHOTO: SUNG CHIH-HSIUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
Two crane operators died. Three others fell or were struck by pieces of the crane and other falling debris.
The temblor registered 5 on the Richter scale in Taipei, where most of the damage occurred.
"More details will be available after we've studied the information we gathered during our inspection," prosecutor Lo Jung-chien (羅榮乾) said.
PHOTO: GEORGE TSORNG, TAIPEI TIMES
Lo inspected the building -- which is expected to be the tallest in the world when completed in 2004 -- floor by floor with prosecutors Cheng Ti-sheng (鄭堤升) and Chen Chung-yen (陳重言) yesterday.
Lo said they were unable to reach the 56th floor because no stairs were available.
"Construction work will be on hold until thorough safety inspections are completed," Lo said.
Work on the building was originally scheduled to be completed by late next year, but construction has been delayed due to several safety concerns, including the tower's close proximity to a nearby fault line.
Among the quake's victims were crane operators Chen Yu-chen (陳又禎) and Chen Hsin (陳信陽).
Construction workers Chen Jin-shuei (陳錦水) and Lin Chien-cheng (林建成) were believed to have been struck by one of the cranes as it fell.
"One second my brother [Lin] was working right next to me on the 52nd floor," said Lin Chien-yu (
Sun Tung-yin (
Lu Qiou-long (盧秋隆), the taxi driver whose cab was crushed by one of the falling cranes, was listed in stable condition at Taipei Medical University Hospital yesterday. An international news agency erroneously reported that Lu had been killed.
Also yesterday, investigators from the Shihlin Prosecutors' Office visited a four-story apartment building on Chengte Road. Sunday's quake left the building partially collapsed and jutting out dangerously toward the street.
Shihlin prosecutor Chen Kuo-ming (
Seven residents were trapped in the building for three hours after the quake. None of their injuries were said to be serious.
"We want to find out why this building was seriously damaged while surrounding buildings stood through the quake just fine," Chen said. "We will determine the cause [of the collapse] and see if any oversight was involved after we study the information we gathered during the inspection [yesterday]."
The Taipei City government has ordered the building torn down within the next two days.
Meanwhile, eight-year old Kao Pong-chieh (
"We see signs of improvement, though he's still in a coma," Chang Yu-lin (
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats