Nvidia Corp might have exceeded Wall Street estimates as its profit jumped, but investors seemed less than impressed.
The company on Wednesday reported a net income of US$16.6 billion. Adjusted for one-time items, net income was US$16.95 billion. Revenue rose to US$30 billion, up 122 percent from a year earlier and 15 percent from the previous quarter.
By comparison, S&P 500 companies overall are expected to deliver just 5 percent growth in revenue for the quarter, FactSet said. Still, Nvidia shares slipped nearly 4 percent in after-hours trading.
Photo: Loren Elliott, Bloomberg
Despite growing revenue, “it appears the bar was just set a tad too high this earnings season,” Carson Group chief market strategist Ryan Detrick said.
“Death, taxes and NVDA [Nvidia] beats on earnings are three things you can bank on,” Detrick said. “Here’s the issue. The size of the beat this time was much smaller than we’ve been seeing. Even future guidance was raised, but again not by the tune from previous quarters.”
The company reported second-quarter adjusted earnings per share of US$0.68, up from US$0.27 a year earlier. Nvidia said it expects third-quarter revenue to grow to US$32.5 billion, plus or minus 2 percent.
Nvidia has led the artificial intelligence (AI) sector to become one of the stock market’s biggest companies, as tech giants continue to spend heavily on the company’s chips and data centers needed to train and operate their AI systems.
Demand for generative AI products that can compose documents, make images and serve as personal assistants has fueled sales of Nvidia’s specialized chips over the past year. Through the year’s first six months, Nvidia’s stock price soared nearly 150 percent and the company is now worth more than US$3 trillion.
The company is planning to increase production of its Blackwell AI chips beginning in the fourth quarter and continuing through fiscal 2026, Nvidia chief financial officer Colette Kress said during an analyst call.
Nvidia expects several billion dollars in Blackwell revenue in the fourth quarter, with shipments of its Hopper graphics processors expected to increase in the second half of the next fiscal year, Kress added.
The company would “have a great next year as well,” Nvidia founder and CEO Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) said in an interview with Bloomberg Television.
Wedbush Securities Inc analyst Dan Ives said the earnings were part of a “historic, meteoric rise from Nvidia and the godfather of AI, Jensen [Huang].”
Investors are picking apart “robust numbers” and trying to find holes in them, Ives added.
Although Nvidia said it estimates about US$32.5 billion in revenue in the third fiscal quarter, some analysts expected a slightly higher figure, he said.
“I view it as kind of like splitting hairs,” Ives said.
The demand for AI technology is only accelerating, he said, echoing Huang’s previous statements that the world is in the midst of the next industrial revolution.
“This is the most watched earnings — not just in tech, but in the market, in many years,” he said. “Investors will initially overreact to any sort of short-lived weakness, but I believe this actually put more fuel into the tank of the bull market.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his