Wire harness maker BizLink Holding Inc (貿聯控股) yesterday reported its highest earnings per share in seven quarters as it announced the acquisition of electrical equipment maker Easys s.r.o.
BizLink’s earnings per share for the second quarter of the year were NT$6.13, the highest since the third quarter of 2022, when it was NT$7.64, company data showed.
That came as the company’s net profit in the second quarter rose by 72.64 percent from NT$580.67 million (US$18.25 million) the previous quarter to NT$1.002 billion. On an annual basis, net profit surged 127.32 percent from NT$440.99 million, the company said in an earnings report.
Photo: Fang Wei-chieh, Taipei Times
While second-quarter revenue only grew 4.5 percent from the previous quarter and was flat from a year earlier at NT$12.98 billion, BizLink said its earnings growth was attributable to “ongoing efficiency and productivity efforts as well as favorable product mix,” which helped boost its gross margin to a 7.5-year high at 28.11 percent and raise its operating margin to a double-digit percentage again at 11.42 percent.
“The global operating environment remained challenging given rising geopolitical and macro-economic risks, but our strong execution showed through,” BizLink said.
The company said its strong bottom line allowed it to generate positive free cash flow for the seventh consecutive quarter last quarter.
“Our healthy cash balance gives us more room to make strategic moves to allocate capital for various growth projects, engage in [merger and acquisitions] M&A and continue to deleverage,” it said.
BizLink, which supplies wiring harnesses for battery management systems in Tesla Inc’s electric vehicles, said sales generated by its industrial applications segment accounted for 40 percent of total sales last quarter, followed by the information technology (IT) and data communications business’ 23 percent, 18 percent each from the automotive and electrical appliances segments, and 1 percent from other segments.
The industrial applications segment might see sales begin to grow this quarter, on the back of rising demand for capital equipment and tailor-made products, while factory automation and healthcare businesses are expected to bottom in the second half of the year, the company said.
In addition, the outlook for the IT and data communications segment looks promising, the company said, adding that US cloud service providers have allotted for more spending in new data center infrastructure and servers worldwide, which would boost data and power solutions sales.
However, BizLink said it remains conservative on the automotive segment given the ongoing industry downcycle, despite initial signs of bottoming.
The company also said it is to acquire Easys for 51.5 million euros (US$57.54 million), which would bolster its ability to fulfill semiconductor capital equipment demand using the additional capacity and new capabilities in Eastern Europe, adding that it expects to sign the definitive purchase agreement to wholly own Easys before the middle of next month.
In the first half of the year, its net profit was NT$1.58 billion, up 48.22 percent from a year earlier, earnings per share rose from NT$6.76 to NT$9.69 and revenue fell 0.83 percent to NT$25.46 billion, company data showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort