As New York becomes the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US, even diehard businesses are shutting down in the so-called “city that never sleeps.”
The losses add to the economic toll from the crisis in the US, which is fighting the largest coronavirus outbreak worldwide, causing a record spike in unemployment claims and posing special risks for small businesses.
Biscuits & Bath, a dog daycare and boarding company, on Friday announced that it would temporarily shut down and lay off most of its remaining employees.
Photo: AFP
“We believe this is the best and only way to keep everyone safe,” Biscuits & Bath owner Scott Smith said in a letter to clients.
Gaetano Arnone, executive chef at Otto Enoteca, briefly revamped the restaurant into a delivery-only operation before pulling the plug.
“Last night we did US$400,” Arnone said by telephone. “It’s just not enough to keep everyone employed and safe.”
The two companies are emblematic of the small and medium-sized businesses that are considered most at risk as officials in New York City and other jurisdictions shutter economic activity in an effort to try to limit the deadly contagion.
The crisis has fundamentally transformed business conditions for just about every US company, darkening Apple Inc’s stores, halting auto production at General Motors Co factories and fueling massive demand for grocers, e-commerce delivery services and companies that manufacture toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
However, nonpublic companies are viewed as an especially vulnerable node in the US economy because they typically lack the access to capital of bigger outfits.
A US$2 trillion relief bill signed into law on Friday boosts unemployment compensation and provides IS$350 billion in forgivable loans to cover small business payroll and overhead, including the rehiring of laid-off workers.
Officials from the administration of US President Donald Trump have said that the money would be available immediately, but experts are skeptical that banks have enough staff to process the loans quickly, or that the US Small Business Administration would be able to ramp up fast enough in a country of 330 million people.
“Small business needed assistance not today, not yesterday, they needed it two weeks ago,” said Adam Levitin, a Georgetown Law School professor specializing in bankruptcy.
“Until we have some sense of when the virus will be contained, there will be too much disruption for small businesses to really get back on their feet and operate normally,” he said.
In New York, the coronavirus’ effects on the economy have been like a boulder that gets bigger as it rolls ever-faster downhill, leveling more of the city’s stores and services.
Biscuits & Bath marketing and sales manager David Maher said that the company was committed to providing service.
It had been categorized by New York state as an “essential business” because it was caring for dogs of hospital workers and first responders, as well as coronavirus patients under quarantine who need their dogs walked.
“If I’m a doctor or nurse and ... I’m cleaning up pee and poop and a mess, that’s going to add to my stress and make me less effective at my job,” Maher said, as a persistent basset hound led a yapping chorus behind him.
However, Maher added that the company was calculating daily costs and revenues in New York’s deteriorating conditions.
By Friday, it realized that it could not go on.
“We had no other choice,” Maher said.
He and his colleagues had begun offering clients alternative lodging.
The company had already trimmed head count in half to about 110, but the latest move would leave staff at 37, Maher said.
Otto Enoteca, part of celebrity restaurateur Joe Bastianich’s empire, had in the past few weeks seen a steep drop-off in reservations even before New York City shut restaurants for dining, but permitted takeout.
“You saw reservations dropping and dropping and dropping... It’s like watching the stock market,” Arnone said at the quiet restaurant.
Arnone’s wife lost her job with a Manhattan hotel — another hard-hit industry. The couple had been on his wife’s company healthcare plan, a typical arrangement in the US.
Having already laid off most of its 45 staff, Arnone pared the menu at the Washington Square spot down to hearty pastas and pizzas, “comfort food” for a stressed-out moment.
However, after three days, Arnone concluded that the plan was unworkable.
“I just can’t sustain it,” he said, adding that his immediate plans include filing for unemployment benefits, staying home with his wife and joining volunteer motorcyclists ferrying medical equipment to hospitals.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his