Alphabet Inc’s Google is pulling its popular YouTube video service from Amazon.com Inc’s Fire TV and Echo Show devices in an escalating feud that has caught consumers in the crossfire.
The decision to block YouTube is retaliation for Amazon’s refusal to sell some Google products that compete with Amazon gadgets. That includes Google’s Chromecast streaming device, an alternative to Fire TV, and an Internet-connected speaker called Home, which is trying to catch up with Amazon’s market-leading Echo.
Amazon’s high-end Echo Show has a screen that can display video.
Photo: AP
“Given this lack of reciprocity, we are no longer supporting YouTube on Echo Show and Fire TV,” Google said in a statement on Tuesday.
Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The battle highlights the power that the world’s major technology companies are gaining as they dominate important corners of commerce and communications.
As the world’s largest online retailer, Amazon has tremendous sway over what people buy, while the results delivered by Google’s ubiquitous search engine often help determine what people do on and off the Web.
Google is hoping to pressure Amazon into selling Google’s products by taking away access to the world’s most widely watched video service. Unless a truce is reached, YouTube is to stop working on Fire TV on Jan. 1.
YouTube was supposed to disappear from Echo Show on Tuesday, although Amazon has previously found ways to make unauthorized versions of YouTube available on that device.
The dispute between Amazon and Google mirrors the face-offs that occasionally crop up between pay-TV providers and TV networks when it comes time to renegotiate their deals, but in this instance the two technology heavyweights are not fighting over licensing fees. Instead, they are jockeying to position their gadgets and, by extension, their digital services into homes as Internet-connected appliances and devices become more deeply ingrained in people’s lives.
The bickering between Google and Amazon has been going on for several years as they have ratcheted up the competition with each other.
One of the first signs that the companies were at odds came when Amazon redesigned Google’s Android mobile software for its Kindle tablets.
Two years ago, Amazon ousted Chromecast from its store, even though that device had previously been its top-selling electronics gadget.
The latest standoff between Google and Amazon was ridiculed by a trade association of high-speed Internet providers.
The group, USTelecom, has been trying to persuade skeptics that Internet providers would preserve equal access to all digital services, even if the US Federal Communications Commission adopts a proposal to rescind current “net neutrality” regulations.
Internet providers are committed to “protections like no content blocking or throttling,” USTelecom chief executive Jonathan Spalter said. “Seems like some of the biggest Internet companies can’t say the same. Ironic, isn’t it?”
Besides withholding Chromecast and the Home speaker from its store, Amazon has also rankled Google by declining to sell an Internet-connected thermostat made by Nest, which is also owned by Alphabet.
Amazon also does not allow its Prime video streaming service on Chromecast, an omission that Google wants to change.
Amazon also does not sell Apple Inc’s streaming video player, but that could change if Amazon’s video streaming service starts working on Apple TV, something Apple has said would happen by the end of this year.
However, that announcement was made in June and Prime video still is not available on Apple TV.
Roku’s market-leading video streaming players are sold through Amazon.
Roku’s players feature both Prime video and YouTube.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort