After the worst annual performance since 2011 for currency managers last year, exaggerated price swings during the first two trading days of this year have traders on alert.
Investors returning to their desks saw foreign-exchange volatility jump to the most in a month as Chinese stock markets plunged and tensions escalated in the Middle East.
Morgan Stanley said swings would persist.
Photo: AP
While Deutsche Bank AG sees a “minor retreat” in volatility, it said more turmoil might come from China and rising US interest rates.
Foreign-exchange funds are looking to better capitalize on volatility after bets on monetary-policy divergence disappointed last year.
Some of the price swings came from unscheduled events last year, such as China’s August devaluation of the yuan, Switzerland’s decision to scrap its currency cap and plummeting commodity prices, which all prompted traders to react rather than anticipate.
“With volatility comes opportunity, because it’s easier to make money when the market’s moving,” JPMorgan Asset Management London-based chief investment officer Roger Hallam said.
“A disciplined investment process facilitates being able to identify profitable trends or lean into erratic price action,” said Hallam, who expects the US dollar to broadly strengthen during the first quarter.
A JPMorgan gauge of currency volatility rose to 10.03 percent on Monday, close to the index’s annual average of 10.08 percent last year, the most since 2011. It fell to a record-low 7.32 percent average in 2014.
Currency markets were buffeted last year by speculation the US Federal Reserve would raise rates in contrast with global peers, including the European Central Bank and the Bank of Japan. A Parker Global Strategies LLC index that tracks top funds in the industry lost 2.3 percent last year — the worst since 2011 — after the Fed failed to raise rates as soon as some traders expected.
The euro slumped to a one-month low of US$1.0711 on Tuesday after an inflation report highlighted the under-performance of economic growth in the single currency bloc versus the US. Policy divergence is poised to continue, with the US central bank signaling it might raise rates four times this year. The euro was little changed at US$1.0747 as of 6:01am in London yesterday.
This year “is likely to see high asset volatility with central bank-policy divergence, an expensive US dollar becoming even more expensive and political uncertainties acting as the catalyst,” Morgan Stanley London-based head of global foreign-exchange strategy Hans Redeker said. “Volatility will be the name of the game, and the very first trading day of this year provides us with a taste of what to expect.”
The yen should also benefit in this environment, while currencies of commodity producers and emerging nations would weaken, said Redeker, whose bank was the eighth most-accurate forecaster of major foreign-exchange rates last quarter.
The turmoil is reflected in “group-of-10 currencies,” where the average difference between one-month implied and historic volatility for options reached the most in one month on Monday.
“An active 2015 has primed the markets for wide ranges in 2016, but 2015 has also likely preempted and dissipated some key macro sources of future volatility,” Deutsche Bank New York-based global foreign-exchange research co-head Alan Ruskin said.
While the bank, which is the second-biggest foreign exchange trader according to Euromoney, sees a slight pullback in volatility this year, it expects markets to stay attuned to US economic performance, Chinese currency depreciation pressures and declining commodity prices.
The latest turbulence was sparked by China, where a worse-than-forecast manufacturing report spurred an equity selloff that snowballed from Shanghai to New York.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he