Oil in London slid below US$45 a barrel for the first time since March 2009 as Iran reiterated it would boost production and US drillers showed no signs of slowing.
Brent futures fell as much as 3.2 percent, extending a 7.3 percent drop last week, the most in five months. Iran is to expand output “at any cost” to defend market share, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh said, according to his ministry’s news Web site. The number of active oil rigs in the US rose for the seventh time in eight weeks, Baker Hughes Inc data showed on Friday.
Oil’s worsening global surplus has fueled pessimism and driven prices down by more than 30 percent since May, prompting hedge funds to cut bullish bets to a five-year low. Iran is joining leading members of OPEC in raising production while US crude stockpiles are almost 100 million barrels above the five-year seasonal average.
“The continued concern around Iran and the risk of a longer than expected re-balancing in the oil market is certainly increasing,” Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd senior commodity strategist Daniel Hynes said by phone.
“Over the next month, we’ll see the end to the peak driving season in the US It doesn’t bode well for the fundamentals,” he said.
Brent for October settlement declined as much as US$1.46 to US$44 a barrel on the London-based ICE Futures Europe exchange and was at US$44.27 at 4:41pm Sydney time. The contract lost US$1.16 to US$45.46 on Friday. The European benchmark crude traded at a US$5.12 premium to West Texas Intermediate (WTI), the US marker grade.
WTI for October delivery decreased as much as US$1.45, or 3.6 percent, to US$39 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, the lowest intraday price since February 2009. Prices fell 4.8 percent through on Friday for an eighth weekly drop, the longest losing streak since 1986. Total volume was more than double the 100-day average.
Iran was OPEC’s second-largest producer before international penalties over its nuclear program began in mid-2012. The country is to seek to regain oil sales regardless of prices, Zanganeh said last month after negotiators reached a deal with world powers offering sanctions relief.
OPEC, which supplies about 40 percent of the world’s crude, has pumped above its quota of 30 million barrels a day for more than a year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Iran’s output trailed that of Saudi Arabia and Iraq last month.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he