An accounting charge wiped out Microsoft Corp’s profit for the past quarter, leading to its largest loss ever, the company said on Tuesday, making clear the cost of its missteps in the mobile business.
The US$7.5 billion accounting charge, stemming from Microsoft’s troubled acquisition of Nokia Oyj’s cellphone business, was disclosed by the company earlier this month, along with plans to eliminate 7,800 jobs, mostly in the company’s phone operations.
In the quarter ended on June 30, Microsoft said its net loss was US$3.2 billion, or US$0.40 a share, compared with net income of US$4.61 billion, or US$0.55 a share, during the same period last year.
For the full year, Microsoft had a profit of US$12.19 billion, or US$1.48 a share, down from US$22.07 billion, or US$2.63 a share, the previous year.
Revenue for the quarter fell 5 percent to US$22.18 billion. For the full year, revenue rose to US$93.58 billion from US$86.83 billion.
Microsoft’s shares fell about 4 percent in after-hours trading, though some analysts sounded a relatively positive note about the company’s results.
After excluding charges related to its Nokia acquisition, which totaled US$8.4 billion including expenses related to the job cuts, Microsoft said it earned US$0.62 a share, better than the US$0.56 a share average of analyst estimates compiled by Thomson Reuters.
However, investors seemed to mostly look beyond Microsoft’s struggles in the phone market. They appeared to focus on two of the company’s most important businesses, Windows and Office, which showed some signs of weakness.
Microsoft’s biggest challenge is a PC market left limping by the rise of mobile devices. The company has tried to adjust to that new reality partly by transitioning its traditional software franchises, like Office, to become cloud services that customers subscribe to rather than purchase outright. That change results in lower revenue in the near term, as the company spreads out customer payments over time.
Microsoft said that revenue from its devices and consumer business declined 13 percent to US$8.7 billion, in part because the licensing revenue it gets from selling its Windows operating system to PC makers declined 22 percent.
That drop is partly because of PC makers, especially in the consumer market, limiting the amount of inventory in stores ahead of the introduction of Windows 10, a new version of the operating system that is to be released next week.
Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella said in a phone call with analysts on Tuesday that he believed the company’s new operating system would “return Windows to growth.”
For the first time the company will give away its Windows 10 to existing customers, hoping to motivate millions of people to put the new software on their PCs quickly.
While the company’s stumbles in smartphones have shown the bruising downsides of the hardware business for Microsoft, it had success with other devices, including its Surface tablet, whose revenue grew 117 percent to US$888 million.
Revenue from its Xbox game business rose 27 percent, while that from the commercial cloud business grew 88 percent during the quarter, one of the brightest spots in its results.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his