The prospect of a Greek exit from the eurozone hung over equity markets this week, blunting positive economic news and ultimately leading stocks lower.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 68.93 points (0.38 percent) in the week to 17,947.02.
The broad-based S&P 500 lost 8.38 (0.4 percent) to 2,101.61, while the tech-rich NASDAQ Composite Index dropped 36.49 (0.71 percent) to 5,080.51.
US stocks rose early in the week, with the NASDAQ hitting records two straight days on an apparent breakthrough in the marathon Greek talks, with the debt-wracked country signalling important concessions on pensions and some other matters. However, the tide turned midweek, as Greece and creditors drifted further apart and the rhetoric on both sides intensified.
“Stocks moved hand and glove with our impression of the success and failure of the Greece talks,” Wunderlich Securities chief market strategist Art Hogan said.
By Friday, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras was speaking of the latest EU demands as “ultimatums and blackmail,” raising the odds of a messy Greek debt default at the end of the month.
Still, many investors continued to believe a deal will be reached over the weekend, FTN Financial chief economist Chris Low said.
“But it will be hard,” Low said. “Investors should be wary.”
Greece overshadowed an unexpectedly strong jump last month in consumer spending and the highest rate of new home sales in seven years, signalling solid US economic growth.
“The data were quite constructive, but took a back seat to what a messy Greek exit might mean,” Hogan said.
The week’s most dramatic news on the corporate side came in the health sector, with hospital stocks like HCA Holdings and Tenet Healthcare surging after the US Supreme Court upheld a key provision of President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform, guaranteeing insurance coverage to millions of Americans.
Health insurers also rose on the Supreme Court ruling, as well as on expectations of consolidation.
Cigna rejected as inadequate a takeover bid of US$53.8 billion from No. 2 insurer Anthem, but analysts said such a deal could be revived as insurers look to bulk up to keep up with hospital chains, pharmaceutical companies and other sectors in healthcare that have consolidated.
Other insurers, including Aetna and Humana, have been discussed as likely candidates for a big deal.
The media and Internet firm IAC/InterActiveCorp announced that it would spin off its lucrative Match unit of online dating programs, which include the popular services Tinder, OkCupid and OurTime.
US agriculture and seed giant Monsanto on Wednesday restated its hope to acquire Syngenta despite repeated rejections by the Swiss company, which has said Monsanto is not offering adequate compensation for the possibility the transaction would be blocked by antitrust regulators.
Food distributor Sysco was assessing its options after a federal judge blocked its proposed US$3.5 billion takeover of US Foods due to opposition from antitrust regulators.
Next week’s calendar includes auto sales, consumer confidence and jobs report for this month, though trade volume could be moderate going into the July 4 holiday weekend.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his