Uber Technologies Inc is facing multiple investigations in France, as its low-cost taxi service inflames tensions around the country, a top security official said yesterday.
French Minister of the Interior Bernard Cazeneuve spoke to RTL radio a day after striking taxi drivers threw travel plans across the country into chaos, attacking Uber livery cars and setting fire to tires on a major arterial road around Paris.
Cazeneuve banned UberPop in the Paris region. It is already banned elsewhere in France, but Uber officials insisted they would continue their activities until the nation’s highest court rules on the service — an attitude Cazeneuve called “cynical and arrogant.”
Photo: Bloomberg
French President Francois Hollande yesterday condemned violent protests against ride-booking app Uber, but he said the service should be taken off the road.
Hollande described the demonstrations as “unacceptable violence in a democracy, in a country like France.”
However, while attending an EU leaders summit in Brussels, he added: “UberPOP should be dissolved and declared illegal.”
Photo: AFP
About 3,000 taxi drivers took part in the strike on Thursday, blocking access to Paris’ Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports, and preventing cars reaching train stations across the country.
Ten people were arrested, seven police officers were injured and 70 vehicles were damaged in clashes between Uber drivers and taxi drivers.
Travelers going to and from the airport were forced to walk alongside highways with their bags, while others, including US celebrity Courtney Love, had their cars set upon by striking taxi drivers.
“They’ve ambushed our car and are holding our driver hostage,” Love said on Twitter. “They’re beating the cars with metal bats. this is France?? I’m safer in Baghdad.”
The French government was aghast, with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls saying: “These incidents give a deplorable image to visitors of our country.”
Taxi drivers justified their rage, saying Uber’s lowest-cost service UberPop was ruining their livelihoods. Despite repeated rulings against it and a law promulgated in October last year that explicitly outlaws UberPop, its drivers continue to ply French roads and the US ride-hailing firm is actively recruiting drivers and passengers alike. Uber claims to have a total of 400,000 customers per month in France.
Cazeneuve rushed back from a trip to Marseille to meet with taxi unions, saying afterward that UberPop must be shut down and its vehicles seized if caught by police carrying passengers. He said that 70 vehicles had been damaged in Thursday’s protests and 10 people were arrested.
Cazeneuve said he would meet with UberPop officials to tell them their service is illegal.
“It must, therefore, be closed,” he said. “The government will never accept the law of the jungle.”
He ordered a meeting of French anti-fraud officials on Monday to put in place measures to immediately stop illegal taxis from servicing customers. Only a decision by the French Ministry of Justice can ban the app for UberPop, he said.
Earlier, Cazeneuve ordered an immediate ban on unlicensed drivers in the Paris region.
That did not faze Uber France general manager Thibaud Simphal, who said on RTL radio he was telling his drivers “to continue.”
He said that thus far the justice system “has not demanded that UberPop be forbidden.”
In France, in recent weeks, nearly 100 Uber drivers have been attacked, sometimes while carrying customers, a scenario repeated on Thursday.
“There are people who are willing to do anything to stop any competition,” Uber spokesman Thomas Meister said. “We are only the symptom of a badly organized market.”
The French government, meanwhile, said nearly 500 legal cases had been filed across the country involving complaints over UberPop. Officials raise concerns about passenger safety, insisting they are not protected in case of an accident by an UberPop driver.
Additional reporting by AFP
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his