Greece’s new government dropped calls for a write-off of its foreign debt and proposed ending a standoff with its official creditors by swapping the debt for growth-linked bonds on Monday, a week after its election on an anti-austerity platform.
Greek Minister of Finance Yanis Varoufakis, in London to reassure private investors that he was not seeking a showdown with Brussels over a new debt agreement, said the new left-wing government would spare privately held bonds from losses, a source told reporters.
The reported proposals, which included a pledge to reform the Greek economy, contrast sharply with the government’s strident vows in Athens last week to ditch the tough austerity conditions imposed under its existing bailout.
Photo: Bloomberg
Late on Monday, Varoufakis issued a statement saying that comments of his to financial investors had been misinterpreted. He gave no details, but he was widely reported in Greek media to be backing down from the government’s aim of reducing the debt.
“The government and the finance minister will not back down, irrespective of how grieved some people are by our determination,” he said in the statement.
It was not clear whether the proposals would be accepted by European heavyweight Germany, which opposes softening the terms.
Varoufakis had not discussed the swap with officials from Greece’s EU or European Central Bank (ECB) creditors, said the source, who had direct knowledge of the plans, but would not be named due to the sensitivity of the issue.
The finance minister also said he had not put a value on the swap, the source said, calling it a “work in progress.”
“These bonds held by the ECB right now can be restructured. It’s possible to turn it into perpetual bonds to be serviced, or growth-linked debt,” said the source. “It’s the same with a proportion of the other bilateral bonds held by the official sector.”
German Minister of Finance Wolfgang Schaeuble told reporters in an interview earlier on Monday that Berlin would not accept any unilateral changes to Greece’s debt program.
“We want Greece to continue going down this successful path in the interests of Greece and the Greeks, but we will not accept one-sided changes to the program,” he said at the Reuters Euro Zone Summit.
Varoufakis called his plan a “menu of debt swaps” that meant Athens would no longer call for a write-off of Greece’s 315 billion euros (US$357 billion) of foreign debt, the Financial Times reported.
“What I’ll say to our partners is that we are putting together a combination of a primary budget surplus and a reform agenda,” Varoufakis told the newspaper.
“I’ll say, ‘Help us to reform our country and give us some fiscal space to do this, otherwise we shall continue to suffocate and become a deformed rather than a reformed Greece,’” he said.
Athens planned to target wealthy tax-evaders and post primary budget surpluses of 1 to 1.5 percent of GDP, he told the paper, even if it meant his party, SYRIZA, could not fulfil all the spending promises on which it was elected.
The finance minister and new Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras are touring European capitals in a diplomatic offensive to replace Greece’s bailout accord with the EU, ECB and IMF.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he