Efforts to assuage Indian concerns about a landmark global trade agreement appear to have failed, sources involved in the discussions said yesterday, setting off a frantic rush to win the nation’s support before a deadline at the end of the month.
India is the most prominent of a group of developing nations angry with rich countries for failing to address their concerns about a deal on trade facilitation struck by WTO member states in Bali, Indonesia, last year.
Proponents believe the deal could add US$1 trillion to global GDP and 21 million jobs by slashing red tape and streamlining customs, eliminating delays at borders that can often cost more than tariffs themselves.
A failure could prove disastrous for the moribund WTO and the system of global free-trade deals it underpins.
As late as Sunday, hopes were high that publicly addressing Indian concerns during a G20 meeting of trade ministers in Sydney during the weekend would give it a face-saving path toward reaffirming its assent before the deadline on Thursday next week.
India stockpiles food for its poor, citing the need for food security, but doing so puts it at risk of breaking the rules of the WTO — which worries that the stockpiling of subsidized food can distort trade.
In Bali, WTO members agreed to give India a pass on its stockpiles until 2017, while negotiating a permanent solution.
Officials told reporters that India had not supplied any clear indication of the concessions that it wanted, so attempts were made at the meeting to reassure the country that its concerns — whatever they may be — were being heard.
“India clearly and forcefully expressed its concern that work proceed on all fronts, including food stockpiling, and received assurances that all G20 members are committed to the full implementation of all Bali agreements on the agreed timetables,” US Trade Representative Michael Froman told reporters yesterday.
A confidential “Summary of Discussion” circulated to G20 participants by Australian Trade Minister Andrew Robb and obtained by reporters details that one official said was an example of India winning acknowledgment of its concerns.
The document says that specific Indian concerns about the deal were raised by the members while pledging to work constructively this week to address those issues.
In principle, the WTO could pass the agreement on the basis of a qualified majority, but experts say that would be unprecedented and virtually impossible in an organization that operates on consensus.
“India is quite influential, so let’s hope that they’re going to back down in some way,” Peter Gallagher, an expert on free trade and the WTO at the University of Adelaide, told reporters.
However, despite reassurances the nation received at the meeting and in public afterward, Indian officials again said on Sunday that they were not convinced.
“The way things are moving, there is no way we can agree to the trade facilitation agreement being pushed by the developed nations at WTO within the prescribed deadline,” an Indian official told the Indian daily Business Standard.
“Food security has always been India’s main concern and this time we are not going to concede,” the official said.
One official involved in the negotiations, speaking under the condition of anonymity to speak frankly, said the statement was emblematic of “erratic” Indian behavior over the deal and cast doubt on its trustworthiness as a negotiating partner.
The conflict over subsidies has raised fears that the so-called trade facilitation agreement — the first-ever global trade agreement under the WTO — will be derailed.
A deal was reached only after New Delhi extracted promises that its concerns related to food subsidies would be addressed.
Gallagher said that it was unclear why those concerns were resurfacing now when they are unrelated to trade facilitation.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort