One of the holding companies of Portugal’s Espirito Santo banking business group filed for creditor protection in Luxembourg on Friday and the group’s problems also spilled over to Angola, where the central bank said the local unit of Banco Espirito Santo would need more capital to deal with bad loans.
Banco Espirito Santo (BES), Portugal’s largest listed lender, is under scrutiny from investors and regulators after disclosures of financial irregularities at Espirito Santo International (ESI), the company that sought creditor protection.
Its problems have raised the possibility of destabilizing losses at the bank. ESI, which is registered in Luxembourg, indirectly holds the largest stake in BES, at 20.1 percent.
ESI said it is “currently not able to meet its debt obligations, a material portion of which have matured.”
The announcement comes three days after conglomerate Rioforte, an ESI subholding, failed to repay over 1 billion euros (US$1.35 billion) in debt to Portugal Telecom, forcing it to take a cut in its stake in a merger with its Brazilian rival, Grupo Oi .
ESI said in a statement that if its request for controlled management is accepted, all enforcement actions by creditors would be suspended.
That should allow it to sell assets in an orderly fashion under the control of the courts, “to enable the value of these assets to be enhanced as opposed to a massive and fast sale,” the statement said.
ESI is at the top of the ownership structure of the family-run empire.
Sources told reporters earlier this week that Rioforte — which owns assets around the world such as hotels, farms, energy and hospitals — had been preparing to file for creditor protection and it was not yet clear if a separate filing would be required. ESI owns 100 percent of Rioforte capital.
Meanwhile, investors are watching for potential liabilities at BES’ 12-year-old Angolan unit, in an escalating affair that has already rocked global markets.
Banco Nacional de Angola Governor Jose de Lima Massano broke his government’s silence on the matter, saying that Banco Espirito Santo Angola (BESA) had problems with its credit portfolio.
“We have operations in an irregular state, so ‘bad’ credit operations,” Massano said on Thursday in a statement to the Angolan parliament, which was e-mailed to reporters on Friday. He did not give further details of the type or extent of bad credit.
Massano said the problems at BESA — which is majority owned by BES and is one of the most active lenders in Angola — would not pose a threat to the country’s overall financial system.
“What is not at stake is either the guarantee of the deposits made with BESA, nor the responsibilities which this bank has with third parties, and much less the stability of our financial system,” Massano said.
The government of Angola, a former Portuguese colony, in December guaranteed 4.2 billion euros, or 70 percent of the loan portfolio of BESA, which has links to the ruling elite and family of Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos.
However, the guarantee lasts only until the middle of next year, and some investors have expressed concern that it could be diluted by Angola’s poor credit rating.
Portugal’s central bank said it was sure BESA would honor its commitments, but Luanda has not commented on the state guarantee.
Analysts say the Angolan state and state-linked companies are most likely to take a larger stake in BESA, as BES does not have the capacity to subscribe to any capital increase.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort