Facebook shares sank 11 percent in the first day of trading without the full support of the company’s underwriters, leaving some investors down almost 25 percent from where they were on Friday and driving others to switch back to more established stocks.
Facebook’s debut was beset by problems, so much so that NASDAQ said on Monday it was changing its initial public offering (IPO) procedures. That might comfort companies considering a listing, but does it little for Facebook, whose lead underwriter, Morgan Stanley, had to step in and defend the US$38 offering price on the open market.
Even so, one source said Morgan Stanley’s own brokers were at one point “ranting and raving” about glitches that left unclear what trades had actually been executed.
Photo: Bloomberg
Without a fresh round of defense, Facebook shares ended down US$4.20, at US$34.03, on the NASDAQ. That was a decline of almost 25 percent from Friday’s intra-day high of US$45 a share.
“At the moment, it’s not living up to the hype,” said Frank Lesh, a futures analyst and broker at FuturePath Trading LLC in Chicago, adding that some people might have decided to hang back and buy the stock on the decline.
“Look at the valuation on it. It might have said ‘buy’ to a few people, but boy, it was awfully rich,” he said.
The drop in Facebook’s share price wiped more than US$11 billion off of the company’s market capitalization — it became a sufficiently interesting pop culture story that even gossip Web site TMZ did a brief item on Monday morning.
Volume was again massive on Monday, with nearly 168 million shares trading hands, making it by far the most active stock on the US market. Nearly 581 million shares were traded on Friday.
The drop was so steep that circuit breakers kicked in a few minutes after the open to restrict short sales of the stock, according to a notice from NASDAQ.
Shares of other one-time Internet darlings fell in lock-step with Facebook, before rebounding on their own merits, with Yelp and Groupon rising. Zynga and -LinkedIn fell, though.
The news was not all bad, though, as the NASDAQ rose 2.46 percent. High-profile tech stocks rose sharply, with Apple up 5.8 percent and Amazon 2 percent higher.
Still there was a long list of questions — ranging from whether the underwriters priced the shares too high to how well-prepared the NASDAQ was to handle the biggest Internet IPO ever — and few easy answers.
“It was just a poorly done deal and it just so happens to be the biggest deal ever for NASDAQ and they pooched it; that’s the bottom line here,” said Joe Saluzzi, co-manager of trading at Themis Trading in Chatham, New Jersey.
Separately, a source said Morgan Stanley’s brokerage arm still had a “large number” of share orders from Friday that were not confirmed, which it was working to resolve.
A Facebook spokeswoman declined to comment on the share price issue.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort