G8 meeting boosts TAIEX
The TAIEX got a boost yesterday amid renewed optimism toward the debt situation in Europe, after the leaders of the G8 nations voiced support for Greece remaining in the eurozone, dealers said.
Buying in the local market focused on high-tech stocks, in particular companies in the Apple supply chain, as bargain hunters took advantage of their relatively low valuations after a recent slump, dealers added.
The TAIEX closed up 82.66 points, or 1.15 percent, at the day’s high of 7,274.89, off an early low of 7,164.90. Turnover during the session totaled NT$65.71 billion (US$2.23 billion).
At the end of the session, the construction sector scored the highest gains among the eight largest sectors of the market, finishing up 1.92 percent.
HTC shares rise on Sprint move
Shares of smartphone supplier HTC Corp (宏達電) rose 6.02 percent to NT$431.50 on the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday after US telecom operator Sprint announced the HTC EVO 4G LTE, one of the firm’s high-end models, will be available to customers from Thursday.
On its blog, Sprint said it expects “to begin shipping HTC EVO 4G LTE for arrival on or around Thursday, May 24 to customers who pre-ordered the device online from Sprint.”
On May 16, HTC said shipments of its HTC One X and EVO LTE devices had been delayed due to a customs review requested by the US International Trade Commission over a patent dispute with Apple Inc.
Stabilize economy: chamber
The government should take action to stabilize the economy rather than pushing through reform policies, in light of a decline in exports, General Chamber of Commerce chairman Lawrence Chang (張平沼) said yesterday.
Given that exports in the first four months of this year fell 4.7 percent from the same period of last year to US$96.37 billion, it is becoming more urgent for the government to deal with the slowing global economy, he said.
“The government should be very cautious about taking any steps at present, which means it should stabilize Taiwan’s economy first and postpone other reforms,” Chang said on the sidelines of a business seminar in Taipei.
“I think the most important work for the government now is to maintain the stability of the economy to avoid a further drop in the second quarter,” he said.
Kaohsiung moving on zone
The Greater Kaohsiung municipal government has set up a steering committee with industrial parks and port operators to speed up the probable establishment of a free economic zone in the city, Greater Kaohsiung Deputy Mayor Lee Yung-te (李永得) said on Monday.
Lee said the committee would draft a proposal for the economic zone by the end of this year and submit it to the central government for funding and assistance.
Lee said the committee will refer to the examples of Incheon in South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Netherlands and will suggest that the central government loosen restrictions for the smooth establishment of the zone.
NT dollar gains ground
The New Taiwan dollar gained ground against the US dollar yesterday, adding NT$0.032 to close at NT$29.546 as the local currency gained strength amid rising optimism toward the European debt situation, dealers said.
The strength of other currencies in the region against the US dollar also propelled traders to dump the greenback and raise their Taiwan dollar holdings, they said.
Turnover totaled US$623 million during the trading session.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his