Struggling Internet company Yahoo Inc has secured a lifeline after agreeing to sell half of its prized stake in Chinese e-commerce group Alibaba (阿里巴巴) for about US$7.1 billion, with most of the cash going to its shareholders.
The deal, announced on Sunday in the US, would see Alibaba Group buying back half of its 40 percent stake from Yahoo Inc for US$6.3 billion in cash and up to US$800 million of Alibaba preference shares.
The announcement caps at least a year of rocky on-and-off talks, with Yahoo trying to sell the stake as part of efforts to turnaround its business.
Money from the sale will give Yahoo the financial firepower to return cash to disgruntled -shareholders, many of whom are still upset after it squandered an opportunity to sell itself to Microsoft Corp in May 2008 for US$33 per share, or US$47.5 billion. Yahoo’s stock has sagged since then, trading at US$15.42 on Friday.
Yahoo said in a joint statement with Alibaba that it planned to return “substantially all” of the after-tax cash proceeds to shareholders. It said its share buyback program had been increased by US$5 billion, though a final decision on how to return the cash had not been made.
Yahoo’s interim chief executive Ross Levinsohn said the stake sale provided “clarity” for Yahoo shareholders.
Levinsohn stepped into the role earlier this month after Yahoo fired former chief executive Scott Thompson because his official biography included a college degree that he never received.
Alibaba and Yahoo also have an agreement for Yahoo to sell the remainder of its Alibaba stake in stages at a later date. Yahoo bought the stake in 2005 for US$1 billion and the deal suggests it is now worth US$14.2 billion.
The statement also indicated that Alibaba could hold an initial public offering in the future.
Under the terms of the deal, if Alibaba Group goes public, it would have to buy back another 10 percent stake from Yahoo or let Yahoo sell those shares in the IPO.
A blog post on Alizila, Alibaba’s in-house news site said that condition expires in December 2015.
Alibaba chairman and CEO Jack Ma (馬雲) said the deal established a “balanced ownership structure that enables Alibaba to take our business to the next level as a -public company in the future.”
After the US$7.1 billion transaction is completed, Yahoo and Japan’s Softbank, which owns 30 percent of Alibaba, will hold exactly 50 percent of Alibaba, but the two companies have agreed to cap their collective shareholder voting rights at less than 50 percent, according to the Alizila blog post.
That means Alibaba will be in the driving seat for decisions made by shareholders, though the board will still have control over strategic issues. Yahoo and Alibaba also agreed to modify their technology and intellectual property licensing agreements.
Under the changes, Yahoo will grant Alibaba a license to continue using the Yahoo China brand for up to four years. Alibaba will pay Yahoo US$550 million and make royalty payments over that period. However, Yahoo will no longer be restricted from making other investments in China.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his