The exposure of Taiwan’s banks to the debts owned by Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain (the PIIGS countries) has fallen below NT$30 billion (US$1.01 billion), according to statistics compiled by the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC).
As of the end of December last year, the banks’ exposure to the five European countries was about NT$30 billion and the amount has decreased because of prudent lending policies, the FSC said on Friday.
The local banking sector has never been a major lender to European countries, FSC officials said.
Since the debt crisis emerged in the eurozone, local banks have become very cautious about Europe’s financial health and have gradually cut back their lending and investments in the region, the officials said.
Government-invested banks, in particular, have made provisions to cover possible losses from loans to Italy, and the debt problems in the eurozone are expected to have limited impact on them, according to sources within the banks.
The comments came after the local bourse was hard hit by escalating fears over the debt situation in Europe earlier in the day.
The benchmark weighted index dropped 2.79 percent to 7,151.19 points on Friday, with foreign institutional investors selling NT$13.41 billion net worth of local shares amid concerns that Greece would exit the eurozone.
Due to the flight of foreign funds, the New Taiwan dollar extended its losses against the US dollar to close at NT$29.630, weakening from Thursday’s closing level of NT$29.560.
Greece announced that it would hold new elections next month, after it failed to form a coalition government following its May 6 parliamentary vote.
However, Fitch on Thursday downgraded Greece’s long-term credit rating to “CCC” from “B-,” saying the country might leave the eurozone if its elections fail to produce a government willing to stick to the austerity measures the country has promised.
Greece’s exit could have an impact on 16 other nations in the eurozone, sending the euro to a four-month low, Fitch added.
Yen Tzung-ta (嚴宗大), deputy governor of the Central Bank of the Republic of China, said: “The debt problem in the eurozone is not a new issue and the central bank has been keeping a close eye on the European financial situation.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort