Authorities yesterday seized Apple iPads from retailers in Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province, the result of a dispute between Apple and Shenzhen Proview Technology (深圳唯冠). The Chinese company says that it owns the iPad name and is asking for similar action in other cities, an official said.
The dispute threatens to complicate Apple’s efforts to sell its popular tablet computer in China, its fastest-growing market.
Investigators started seizing iPads on Thursday after receiving letters from Shenzhen Proview, said an official at the Xinhua District economic investigation unit in Shijiazhuang. He would give only his surname, Wang.
“All the Apple iPads in big shopping malls and supermarkets have been taken off shelves in Xinhua District,” Wang said.
He would not say how many devices had been seized or the number of retailers affected.
An Apple Inc spokeswoman in Beijing, Carolyn Wu, declined to comment.
California-based Apple has five stores in China — two in Beijing and three in Shanghai — and authorized resellers in other cities.
Telephone calls to the Beijing and Shanghai commercial bureaus, which enforce trademarks, were not answered.
Shenzhen Proview registered the iPad name in China in 2001. Apple bought rights to the name from a Taiwan affiliate, Proview Taipei, that registered it in various countries as early as 2000. The Chinese company says it still owns the name in China.
A Chinese court rejected Apple’s complaint in December that Shenzhen Proview was violating its rights to the iPad name. The court ruled Proview is not bound by a 2009 agreement under which Proview Taipei transferred the trademarks to Apple for £35,000 (US$54,700).
Shenzhen Proview said it filed a trademark violation complaint last month with the commercial bureau of Beijing.
The company has asked authorities in more than 20 cities to investigate and to destroy promotional materials that violate its trademark, said the company’s lawyer, Xie Xianghui (謝湘輝). He declined to identify the cities, saying that to do so could disrupt investigations.
“We have not made a demand for economic compensation. We will pursue it through other channels,” Xie said.
Shenzhen Proview Technology is a subsidiary of LCD screen maker Proview International Holdings Ltd, headquartered in Hong Kong.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his