The WTO, citing turmoil in the global economy, on Friday cut its forecast for trade growth this year from the 6.5 percent it predicted in April to 5.8 percent, and warned that the final figure could be lower.
The WTO said the move reflected the fact that trade had grown more slowly than expected in recent months “and the outlook for the global economy is increasingly uncertain.”
Since the April forecast, it said, “developed economies in particular have been buffeted by strong headwinds.”
These included “the lingering effects of the tsunami in Japan, the prolonged impasse and credit downgrade in the United States, and the ongoing euro area sovereign debt crisis,” the WTO added.
“Disappointing output and employment data have damaged business and consumer confidence and contributed to the recent turmoil in financial markets,” it said.
Developing countries would fare much better than rich, industrialized powers, it said, adding that it now expected developed economies’ exports to rise by only 3.7 percent this year, based on a GDP increase of 1.5 percent.
Developing economies were likely to increase their exports by 8.5 percent, based on a GDP increase of 5.9 percent, it said.
The new forecast came with a warning from the WTO economists who issued it that it was compiled amid “an unusually high degree of uncertainty, which implies a slowdown in world trade rather than a decline.”
The world economy “may be at an inflection point where growth could pick up if policymakers devise a solution to the debt crisis that restores confidence to the financial system,” it said.
However, “policy missteps could trigger wide instability along the lines of the crisis that followed the failure of [US bank] Lehman Brothers in 2008,” the economists said.
Weighing those factors, “we believe that risks to the forecast are firmly rooted on the downside, but we must not ignore the fact that there is some upside potential,” they said.
The latest forecast follows a major recovery last year, when the volume of world trade jumped by 14.1 percent, bouncing back from a big drop of 12.1 percent in 2009 after growth of a low 2.3 percent in 2008. Trade officials and global companies had been looking to this year to consolidate the advances of last year.
In a commentary on the figures, WTO Director-General Pascal Lamy urged the organization’s 153 members — including almost all significant trading nations except Russia which is expected to join soon — not to slide into protectionism.
“The multilateral trading system has been instrumental in maintaining trade openness during the [2008-2009] crisis, thereby avoiding even worse outcomes,” he said. “Members must remain vigilant. This is not the time for go-it-alone measures.”
In their report, the WTO economists said that during the crisis two years ago the body’s members had generally been able to resist protectionist pressures, but recently their collective will had been tested by weaker economic growth, high unemployment and forced austerity.
“Another downturn in the global economy could strain their resolve to the breaking point and trigger a descent into self-destructive protectionism,” they said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his